Back in the tube amp game with a bang, which fourth amp?

All of these will be different from the compressed/saturated/processed thing ya have in those amps already. The Hellion does that or a much more raw tone/feel and everything in between.

Hellion
Fryette--CLX is the best of their line IMO
Splawn
Wizard MC--100-----50--40---25 whatever.
Mark II, III
Morris Perplexed
Peters
Marshall whatever and a boost
“compressed/saturated/processed”

Yeah, these amps cover those bases well lol. That’s why I wanna throw in something different. Something raw, punchy, dynamic, unforgiving

Lot of good recommendations in here.

I can’t get the splawn, wizard , or Fryette out of my mind.

I got some homework to do before taking another torpedo to my wallet

“compressed/saturated/processed”

Yeah, these amps cover those bases well lol. That’s why I wanna throw in something different. Something raw, punchy, dynamic, unforgiving

Lot of good recommendations in here.

I can’t get the splawn, wizard , or Fryette out of my mind.

I got some homework to do before taking another torpedo to my wallet
For those particular qualities Wizard’s are probably the best choice I know of IME. Especially the Hell Razor KT150 is much better than the MTL and MC I used to have

Naylor would also be a great choice for this criteria and maybe also the right Marshall either with the right mod or boost

Personally I wouldn’t consider any Splawn’s to be in the same league or even ideal for the criteria, but they are a lot cheaper and some guys on here like them

Morris SIRROM
IMG_8204.jpeg

OT to actual thread but - ya, this was my experience with the Mk.I Herbert... haven't tried a Mk.III but also don't feel the need to. Bases - covered - but back to the OP...

Get something fkn weird and raunchy man, I'm sticking to my Knucklehead KTre - if ya haven't tried one yet - do yourself a favour.
How's the Rivera KH ktre?? I heard they are very loud. From the clips they are very raw/saturated/saggy. What's your opinion?

How's the Rivera KH ktre?? I heard they are very loud. From the clips they are very raw/saturated/saggy. What's your opinion?
They eat other high-gainers for breakfast and offer a very unique sound that's all their own. MVs work fine at keeping things sub-nuclear, but I still use my CatporX to attenuate to get the power section cooking. They just sound "different but awesome". And they feel amazing. Maybe not everyone's cuppa but for me, total surprise kickass amp.

@PaintChipsAreVegan - what kind of metal/rock are you usually going for?

I was considered the Marks to be compressed and saturated - no?
They can be if set with gain higher, but its still a more natural sound than Diezel, Engl, etc. Marks don't sound processed/synthetic even when playing with higher gain/saturation levels. Or the Mark can be set with lower gain and sound way more raw/natural then those amps ever will.

They can be if set with gain higher, but its still a more natural sound than Diezel, Engl, etc. Marks don't sound processed/synthetic even when playing with higher gain/saturation levels. Or the Mark can be set with lower gain and sound way more raw/natural then those amps ever will.
That’s what’s cool about the older amps. The mark iii’s, IIC+’s, early Revision Recto’s and modded vintage Marshall’s can get as high gain or compressed as needed but sound raw and organic from being vintage. It’s always been a much more inspiring quality of sound for me where I feel more connected with the gear

@PaintChipsAreVegan - what kind of metal/rock are you usually going for?

I was considered the Marks to be compressed and saturated - no?
well like 90% of players of modern metal, like both professional and bedroom warriors…most of the types of sounds I go for are up the alley of meshuggah and Gojira. My current amps cover that territory

In the amp I’m looking for, I’d like a more 90s, early 2000s type of punchy, raw high gain. Later exodus and testament come to mind

well like 90% of players of modern metal, like both professional and bedroom warriors…most of the types of sounds I go for are up the alley of meshuggah and Gojira. My current amps cover that territory

In the amp I’m looking for, I’d like a more 90s, early 2000s type of punchy, raw high gain. Later exodus and testament come to mind
I know Gary Holt uses a boosted Jubilee 2555X reissue....keeps the gain down to 6 on the amp, then runs a boost in front and something in the loop....Jeff(Beyond Black) has a friend who knows Holt's tech. That's his live rig anyway. I think he also has a Langner Marshall but keeps it at home.
He gets some killer tone.

@PaintChipsAreVegan Out of the amps you mentioned, a Deliverance 120 will probably be the most unique relative to the amps you already have. It can be dialed to be extremely dry and treble / presence-centric, where the Uber Ultra, Herbert, and Special Edition are going to lean towards thicker sounds than the Deliverance. The Uber Ultra can be dialed to be fairly dry too, but Fryette amps are more dialed in for specifically that kind of sound.

However, a Mark VII would compliment those amps just as well, as the Mark (especially in IIC+ or IIB mode) can also be dialed to be very dry and treble/presence/articulation-centric. It probably won't get quite as dry as the Deliverance can get, but that's more personal taste than anything.

Last edited:
I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top-25w. The lead channel is based off of the original Knucklehead w a built in boost. It is absolutely monstrous and tight. No pedals needed at all. I've never played the KH itself but this amp sounds amazing.

I’d check out a ground zero hellion. Rig-talk member RedPlated makes them and they are unreal. Speaking from experience. One of my favourite amps ever

It’s like a mix of a hot-modded Marshall and a Mesa Mark. To me it sounds like a modern metal amp, with a Marshall feel.

He has a sub forum on here if you wanna check them out.

I think he’s doing multiple runs this year and he’s definitely one of the most solid guys to deal with purchasing amps from.

I have a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top-25w. The lead channel is based off of the original Knucklehead w a built in boost. It is absolutely monstrous and tight. No pedals needed at all. I've never played the KH itself but this amp sounds amazing.
Rivera don't get the press they deserve. But those who play 'em, just play 'em and don't spray on about 'em.

Pretty much agree with everything Ventura said.
Bought mine 8 years ago and still own it.
Tons of low end, lots of gain on tap, EQ has a really wide sweep especially in the mids, and gets LOUD.
People either gel with them or dont, Its definitely not a surgical tight amp, more saggy and beefy sounding.

Out of the 4 you mentioned I have a major soft spot for the Friedman BE-100 Deluxe and would highly recommend it. I've got an uberschall ultra like yourself here and a few other amps in that heavier end of things but the deluxe is just such a joy to play if you're in the hard rock kind of mood. Super polished sounding, feels incredible under the fingers and has one of the best master volumes I've ever tried.

If you're a full on metal type of person then I'd honestly recommend checking out a Hermansson modified rectifier or marshall though, I've got a modified rectifier from him myself and it's a never sell for me, so unique!

Lovely collection mate!

Back