What is your tone blending technique when recording?

ive done different shit within songs even. i might add another layer to an intense part for some extra nuts not needed in a more mellow part, i might do a track with just palm mutes to ad chunk. theres no set rules for me

Last edited:
I normally arrange and voice different parts with different sounds instead of multitracking the exact same part, some of which might even end up on keys instead of guitar, but when I multitrack something straight up it´s almost always a cleaner track tucked underneath a distorted rhythm part that needs some snap. So panned to the same place and mixed low. But I´m more of an 80s rock guy, and not as heavy as most rig-talkers.

I’m gonna word vomit but I’ll try to keep it concise-

None of this matters without context and the context is everything else going on in a mix + your intent with that particular song.

It’s a blast to check out guitar blended guitar tones in isolation, but it means fuck all when you introduce other instruments that will dictate how those guitars end up sitting in the mix.

I just upgraded my studio monitors from Yamaha HS-5’s to the HS-8’s and had to put everything on pause while I learned the new speakers, which give a FUCKTON more detail that I was not hearing on the 5’s, mainly the interaction of frequencies of all the instruments in a mix.

Perfect example- I went to record one night, pressed Record and the click came on as normal, but the second the other instruments started playing in the track, the perceivable volume of the click dropped in half due to everything else using those same frequencies. I never understood how sensistive that whole situation was before.

From the guitar player perspective, it’s fun to just know what different combinations can give you, but in practical/actual use, it’s something generally determined by what’s missing in the mix that it could possibly deliver. Hetfield doing the “Sad But True” overdubs with the Danelectro is a great example; Bob knew what to add to get that part of the riff sounding the best it could.

It’s a blast to check out guitar blended guitar tones in isolation, but it means fuck all when you introduce other instruments that will dictate how those guitars end up sitting in the mix.
Thats the great thing about using a plugin like NAM, you can adjust all the parameters in real time, change ir's, etc.

From the guitar player perspective, it’s fun to just know what different combinations can give you, but in practical/actual use, it’s something generally determined by what’s missing in the mix that it could possibly deliver. Hetfield doing the “Sad But True” overdubs with the Danelectro is a great example; Bob knew what to add to get that part of the riff sounding the best it could.
Yep, and I've heard of people doing that all the time. I try to do one track with more gain than the other, different guitar, etc. Sad But True is a monster tone and so layered but tight.

I used to double /quad etc. Never do that anymore. Normally use two different guitars or two different speakers/mics and mix those.

I am James T. Kirk, and I blend equal parts of greatness and awesomeness..

star-trek-inspirational-poster.jpg

Back