What’s the hardest shred solo to play

I dunno about the “hardest”, but Petrucci’s solo in “Scarred” is one of my favorite solos of all time because it’s has it all, killer note choice/phrasing, intensity and technical shit. I started learning it this fall and had to put it on the back burner, I need to bust out the metronome and get my fingers back in High School Drew shape for that shit. The whole ascending lick into the sweep is one of those “Oh I can play this fine at a slower tempo” and a complete mindfuck when sped up.

Start this at 1:14 to skip pass the keyboard solo

The ascending lick I’m talking about is about 1:29.

And that doesn’t even get into the ridiculous sweep at the very end. The album version is much better, the faster tempo from the live version just removes all the dynamics that made the original great, but JFC Petrucci can eat notes like a boxer taking punches to the head.

Research Shawn Lane. There was nobody like him. Shit gets real at the 2:00 mark.

I had the privilege of hearing him in a club near a NAMM show a long time ago. He was a force of nature. Actually, his entire band was a force of nature. Jonas Hellborg was playing bass with him, and Jeff Sipe was on drums.

Amazing music. Phenominal musicians! Check this out. You can thank me later.

I had the privilege of hearing him in a club near a NAMM show a long time ago. He was a force of nature. Actually, his entire band was a force of nature. Jonas Hellborg was playing bass with him, and Jeff Sipe was on drums.

Amazing music. Phenominal musicians! Check this out. You can thank me later.

loved him but the tajikistanian yodeling phase was a bit too snake charmer featuring tunak tunak for me.

Research Shawn Lane. There was nobody like him. Shit gets real at the 2:00 mark.

Shawn Lane is a monster player and all, but jesus christ the music is soooo ass aids GAY
Every time i see him I imagine a Faustian bargain where you get the greatest shred powers on earth but you have to look like a Neckbeard and play music that sounds like the fucking Reading Rainbow theme.

"Take a look, it's in a book" *widdly widdly wew*

Technical Difficulties - Paul Gilbert...but 10 years ago by then 17 yr old Matteo Mancuso :oops: :doh: :unsure::ROFLMAO:

he is a magnificent spectacle. this is his coming out party but unless he is mentored and managed properly he will be like guthrie—every guitar player says he’s the guy but i couldn’t name one song he wrote and the world at large will ignore him without a hit tune.

best thing he could do for his career is be a sideman for a big artist and cultivate a stage presence or form a simple 3 chord rock band, slow down, and write something memorable.

he is a magnificent spectacle. this is his coming out party but unless he is mentored and managed properly he will be like guthrie—every guitar player says he’s the guy but i couldn’t name one song he wrote and the world at large will ignore him without a hit tine.

best thing he could do for his career is be a sideman for a big artist and cultivate a stage presence or form a simple 3 chord rock band, slow down, and write something memorable.

Matteo and Guthrie Govan, i'm sure are good dudes and all, as well as crazy talented, but I wish they both would have spent 20% of their 10,000 hours developing music taste that doesnt fucking suck, lol

It always seems like such a waste to me when these monster players play absolutely awful music

Shawn Lane is a monster player and all, but jesus christ the music is soooo ass aids GAY
Every time i see him I imagine a Faustian bargain where you get the greatest shred powers on earth but you have to look like a Neckbeard and play music that sounds like the fucking Reading Rainbow theme.

first, and please don’t take this as a personal attack, you do not need to use the Lord’s name in vain so please -if nothing else other than a favor to a brother on the forum -please find another creative means to express yourself. thank you!

your reading rainbow comparison is pretty funny, and i get he can come across kinda foofy to metal guys, but i don’t agree that shawn or his music deserves *that* amount of slammage. i’ve heard similar comments including sounding like space invaders. etc. he has always been in my top three with holdsworth and gambale in the extreme virtuoso realm combining unlimited speed, tone, harmonic content, and unique melodies.

for me when he did the India inner journey music that countless have done before him (beatles, mahavishnu, cat stevens, santana) i lost interest. shawn’s inherent native melodies were beautiful and orchestral. going india music is like going blues for shawn and stuck him in a box of rules he shouldn’t be bound by, but maybe it was strategic to pick up an untapped segment of fans from the Indian market.

Matteo and Guthrie Govan, i'm sure are good dudes and all, as well as crazy talented, but I wish they both would have spent 20% of their 10,000 hours developing music taste that doesnt fucking suck, lol

It always seems like such a waste to me when these monster players play absolutely awful music
when i first met guthrie he was super humble and just another guitar geek like us. i still think he is an incredible player and has that ability live to transcend and channel some higher power music energy when he is improvising in the zone. it’s a little scary when i think about it. i’ve seen holdsworth, landau, ej, yngwie, shawn and gambale do it too. those guys all have/had a special connection with music at their peaks.

everyone says shawn was a wonderful person as well.

Always loved this.thx for sharing. Totally agree, 2 minutes in and its ON
I never really heard what happened to him other than he passed.

Last edited:

It’s not that bad . That’s a lil much .i think most of it is good . Except maybe a phase . I love jazz and fusion

Back