Marty wants solos to go away

Someone posted a link to that in the Marty Friedman FB group and here's Marty's response as he posts in that group from time to time:

"Marty Friedman

Do not believe anything written in this article. Many misquotes, false info and negativity clickbait. The vast majority of it was completely made up, by someone who knows so little about guitars in general that he or she doesn`t know the difference between a Jackson in the photo and an Ibanez."
Good, I was frankly shocked to read it. Cultural destructors at work.

Well, when I am able to compose and play solos like Marty, I will then also advise everybody else to not even try :)

There are a lot of “stock” solos out there. I remember contributing to a group jam recording a few years back and the leader getting mad at me for not doing pentatonic licks or scalar runs, but instead trying to come up with something different to stand out.

F that. How many times do we need to hear the descending three note pentatonic lick that ends in a bend?

I don’t think solos need to go, they get just need to get more creative or more emotional.

makes you appreciate even more guys like CC Deville who wrote some of the most emotional song fitting yet catchy solos of all time.
His solos are the equivalent of a baby writhing on the floor while wallowing in spilled pudding, all the while in full volume temper tantrum mode with a loaded diaper to boot. I guess that qualifies as "emotional".

I don't feel that way at all....new players pushing boundaries doesn't intimidate me at all.....it inspires me, everyone is an individual, there's no competition here,most of the pros have a good attitude about it from what I've seen.....I kinda felt like we were in an ascension time, music education/great playing/guitar culture is on the rise....you have new audiences learning about the great players we all grew up loving(TMac, Pablo Gilberto, Gambale, YJM to name a few) and loving it too.....not to mention great tones are available to everyday players that in times past only pro's could achieve. It's not a bad time, it's a good time....now there is something to be said for the snap to grid/mathematical formulaic fucking things up, but that is another issue. Fake fuckin' news strikes again

His solos are the equivalent of a baby writhing on the floor while wallowing in spilled pudding, all the while in full volume temper tantrum mode with a loaded diaper to boot. I guess that qualifies as "emotional".
Dude was trolling lol

Someone posted a link to that in the Marty Friedman FB group and here's Marty's response as he posts in that group from time to time:

"Marty Friedman

Do not believe anything written in this article. Many misquotes, false info and negativity clickbait. The vast majority of it was completely made up, by someone who knows so little about guitars in general that he or she doesn`t know the difference between a Jackson in the photo and an Ibanez."
Hopefully this is true and not just him trying to save face from criticism.

Mary has always said crazy shit. He has nice said he does t know theory but I see theory in next interview lol fr. And he said he’s never
Done a sweep arpeggio.

Agreed. Amazing player and huge talent but he's also a huge dork. Says the stupidest $hit all the time and then contradicts himself by continuing to play all the solos he is known and loved for.

I'm guessing the interviewer probably took this out of context to get hate clicks, but Marty makes it easy with the way he constantly contradicts himself :dunno:

"Marty Friedman

Glad to know. Can't trust those magazines and websites for some time now.

As GnR sang

"This goes for all you punks in the press
That want to start printing lies instead of the things we said
That goes for you Andy Sesher (?) at Hit Parader,
Mick Wall at Circus Magazine,
Bob Cozioni Jr (?) at Spin, what you pissed off cause your dad gets more pussy than you?
Fuck you, suck my fucking dick,
... Get in the ring"

Of course, it's possible someone in Japan management told Marty it was a dick move and he blanched. Hardly anything gets written in a magazine or online now without a recording being kept. Doubt they misquoted him that badly.

At least Henson didn't backtrack on his comments, I think.

Hey Marty, do you know why you are still best known for those awesome Megadeth solos? It’s not that you became a lesser player after that. Not at all. It’s because those songs had dedicated solo sections and the anticipation building during the song made each solo that much more rewarding when it finally came. 99 % of purely guitar instrumental based music is highly irritating to most people because hearing non stop distorted lead guitar over the course of an entire song, on every song, gets old really fast, even if it’s slow and melodic, no matter how good the player is.
This

Glad to know. Can't trust those magazines and websites for some time now.

As GnR sang

"This goes for all you punks in the press
That want to start printing lies instead of the things we said
That goes for you Andy Sesher (?) at Hit Parader,
Mick Wall at Circus Magazine,
Bob Cozioni Jr (?) at Spin, what you pissed off cause your dad gets more pussy than you?
Fuck you, suck my fucking dick,
... Get in the ring"

Of course, it's possible someone in Japan management told Marty it was a dick move and he blanched. Hardly anything gets written in a magazine or online now without a recording being kept. Doubt they misquoted him that badly.

At least Henson didn't backtrack on his comments, I think.
I don't have much faith in the press these days, and neither do the folks.....mass layoffs in that industry are happening for a reason.

Back