NAD TREMOVERB!!!

Any reason why you used orange to modern instead of just using the red channel?
Ive just always preferred orange modern to red for some reason and started there. Im going to try and spend some time this week going through the modes and trying new stuff. Everything sounds really good so far just setting it up initially so im not adverse to using the channels and having more versatility for sure.

Ive just always preferred orange modern to red for some reason and started there. Im going to try and spend some time this week going through the modes and trying new stuff. Everything sounds really good so far just setting it up initially so im not adverse to using the channels and having more versatility for sure.
I am mostly curious because I dont think I have ever tried Orange to Modern, lol. I have tried where you make the modern channel clone to orange, so that you get the 2 Presence controls active, but I don't think I have ever tried to make the top channel modern.

In general, I always prefer the bottom channel to the top. The modern red always sounds better to me.

I am mostly curious because I dont think I have ever tried Orange to Modern, lol. I have tried where you make the modern channel clone to orange, so that you get the 2 Presence controls active, but I don't think I have ever tried to make the top channel modern.

In general, I always prefer the bottom channel to the top. The modern red always sounds better to me.
You basically get the modern Red preamp with a more vintage poweramp. It's easier to get the bass tight. The presence control acts very differently. It is a cool alternative sound.
Often I want two Red or two Orange channels. I highly recommend checking it out.

post your settings pdf again oh guru of gain.... :rawk:
Not sure about Guru. I just know what I like.

Some type of Tube Screamer and a noise gate is extremely useful with the Rectifier amps.

Here is the Mesa Tube Color codes.
RED

"Headroom" available: Very High

Clipping: Low

YELLOW

"Headroom" available: High

GREEN

"Headroom" available: Medium High

Clipping: Medium

GREY

BLUE

"Headroom" available: Medium Low

Clipping: Medium High

Best Regards,

Marcus Daniel | Customer Service

Mesa/Boogie | MESA ENGINEERING

4 -Red

4.5 -Yellow

5 -Green

5.5 -Gray

6 -Blue

6.5 -White

With Groove Tubes basically, a #1 will distort sooner, and a #10 later.

THIS IS COMPLETELY OPPOSITE WHEN IT COMES TO MESA FIXED BIAS AMPS. In fact, GT distortion rating of 4 has MORE headroom than a 6 rating, not less. Again, this is only relevant for fixed bias amps, and has to do with the percentage of max plate dissipation a tube is pulling at idle.

This applies when the tubes are installed into a FIXED bias amp such as a Boogie. This means that the Groove Tubes will draw close to the same current at idle as the corresponding color codes of MESA tubes. The red color code idles cooler and is further from clip (breakup) , and the white color code idles hotter and is closer to clip (breakup). Reds = headroom , White = quicker distortion. 8) This is what Marcus was saying.

The early and late breakup that Groove Tubes is talking about is the tubes installed into an ADJUSTABLE bias amp with the tubes biased to the same current draw. That is, if you took a #5 tube and a #10 tube and biased them do both draw 70% mpd, that the #5 would distort sooner and the #10 would have more headroom.

"7 is about as high as you can go and even with a 7 in the output section I would check the bias." -Myles Rose

This is a collection of settings I put together over the last thirty plus years. Many of these settings I got from famous people.

All settings o'clock

1)

Mode - Clean

Spongy

Tube Rectifier

Presence - 1

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 12

Gain - 11~1

2)

Mode - Blues

Spongy

Tube Rectifier

Presence - 12

Bass - 12

Mid - 9~10

Treble - 1

Gain - 9~1

3)

Mode - Orange

Spongy or Bold

Tube Rectifier or Silicone Diode

Presence - 1

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 2~3

Treble - 1

Gain - 11~3

4)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 8~9

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 2~3

Treble - 1

Gain - 1~3

5)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 9~10

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 8~10

Treble - 1

Gain - 2~4

6)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 1~2

Bass - 11

Mid - 2

Treble - 11

Gain - 11~1

7)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 11

Bass - 12

Mid - 10

Treble - 1~2

Gain - 11 (9-2 range all usable)

8 )

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 11

Bass - 1~2

Mid - 11

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

9)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 9

Bass - 11

Mid - 1~2

Treble - 9

Gain - 11

10)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 8~9

Bass - 10

Mid - 11

Treble - 8

Gain - 9~10

11)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 3

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 2

Gain - 4

12)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 2

Bass - 1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 4

13)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 10

Bass - 1

Mid - 8~9

Treble - 2

Gain - 11

14)

Mode - Clean

Bold / Spongy

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 9

Bass - 11

Mid - 11

Treble - 10~11

Gain - Full

15)

Mode - Clean

Bold / Spongy

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 11

Mid - 12

Treble - 1

Gain - 9~10

16)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 12-1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

17)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 1

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 11

Gain - 2

18)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

19)

Mode - Orange

Silicon Diodes

Bold

Master - 2:30

Presence - 2:30

Bass - 11

Midrange - 2

Treble - 2:30

Gain - 11

20)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicon Diodes

Master - 9:30

Presence - 9:30

Bass - 11

Midrange - 2:30

Treble - 1:30

Gain - 1

21)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 2 - 2:30

Bass - 10 - 11

Mid - 2 - 2:30

Treble - 10:30 - 11

Gain - 2 - 2:30

22)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Bass - 10 - 11

Gain - 11 - 11:30

23)

Orange

Silicon

Bold

Bypass effects loop.

Gain -11-1

Treble - 3+

Midrange - Full up

Bass - 1-2+

Presence - 1-3

+ = a little more

The "bypass effects loop" on back is important for the sound.

You basically get the modern Red preamp with a more vintage poweramp. It's easier to get the bass tight. The presence control acts very differently. It is a cool alternative sound.
Often I want two Red or two Orange channels. I highly recommend checking it out.
I will have to give it a try next time I hook it up. I normally dont like the Orange preamp. I find it has too many of those boxy mids I cant stand.

I have a Triple, so I usually find the Modern Red pretty tight as-is. The Triple is tighter than the Dual though. I even like to use the tube rectifier sometimes to give it some more bounce.

I will have to give it a try next time I hook it up. I normally dont like the Orange preamp. I find it has too many of those boxy mids I cant stand.

I have a Triple, so I usually find the Modern Red pretty tight as-is. The Triple is tighter than the Dual though. I even like to use the tube rectifier sometimes to give it some more bounce.
Having two different versions of the Red channel is my favorite way to use the amp. The Orange and Red sound too different for what I usually want to do. Two Red or two Orange just seems more natural to me.

Expect to set the tone controls pretty different than you usually do when using Orange to Red.

Not sure about Guru. I just know what I like.

Some type of Tube Screamer and a noise gate is extremely useful with the Rectifier amps.

Here is the Mesa Tube Color codes.
RED

"Headroom" available: Very High

YELLOW

"Headroom" available: High

GREEN

GREY

BLUE

"Headroom" available: Medium Low

Clipping: Medium High

Best Regards,

Marcus Daniel | Customer Service

Mesa/Boogie | MESA ENGINEERING

4 -Red

4.5 -Yellow

5 -Green

5.5 -Gray

6 -Blue

6.5 -White

With Groove Tubes basically, a #1 will distort sooner, and a #10 later.

THIS IS COMPLETELY OPPOSITE WHEN IT COMES TO MESA FIXED BIAS AMPS. In fact, GT distortion rating of 4 has MORE headroom than a 6 rating, not less. Again, this is only relevant for fixed bias amps, and has to do with the percentage of max plate dissipation a tube is pulling at idle.

This applies when the tubes are installed into a FIXED bias amp such as a Boogie. This means that the Groove Tubes will draw close to the same current at idle as the corresponding color codes of MESA tubes. The red color code idles cooler and is further from clip (breakup) , and the white color code idles hotter and is closer to clip (breakup). Reds = headroom , White = quicker distortion. 8) This is what Marcus was saying.

The early and late breakup that Groove Tubes is talking about is the tubes installed into an ADJUSTABLE bias amp with the tubes biased to the same current draw. That is, if you took a #5 tube and a #10 tube and biased them do both draw 70% mpd, that the #5 would distort sooner and the #10 would have more headroom.

"7 is about as high as you can go and even with a 7 in the output section I would check the bias." -Myles Rose

This is a collection of settings I put together over the last thirty plus years. Many of these settings I got from famous people.

All settings o'clock

1)

Mode - Clean

Spongy

Tube Rectifier

Presence - 1

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 12

Gain - 11~1

2)

Mode - Blues

Spongy

Tube Rectifier

Presence - 12

Bass - 12

Mid - 9~10

Treble - 1

Gain - 9~1

3)

Mode - Orange

Spongy or Bold

Tube Rectifier or Silicone Diode

Presence - 1

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 2~3

Treble - 1

Gain - 11~3

4)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 8~9

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 2~3

Treble - 1

Gain - 1~3

5)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 9~10

Bass - 10~1

Mid - 8~10

Treble - 1

Gain - 2~4

6)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 1~2

Bass - 11

Mid - 2

Treble - 11

Gain - 11~1

7)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 11

Bass - 12

Mid - 10

Treble - 1~2

Gain - 11 (9-2 range all usable)

8 )

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 11

Bass - 1~2

Mid - 11

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

9)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 9

Bass - 11

Mid - 1~2

Treble - 9

Gain - 11

10)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 8~9

Bass - 10

Mid - 11

Treble - 8

Gain - 9~10

11)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 3

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 2

Gain - 4

12)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 2

Bass - 1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 4

13)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 10

Bass - 1

Mid - 8~9

Treble - 2

Gain - 11

14)

Mode - Clean

Bold / Spongy

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 9

Bass - 11

Mid - 11

Treble - 10~11

Gain - Full

15)

Mode - Clean

Bold / Spongy

Silicone Diode / Tube

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 11

Mid - 12

Treble - 1

Gain - 9~10

16)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 12-1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

17)

Mode - Clean

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 1

Bass - 12

Mid - 11

Treble - 11

Gain - 2

18)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Presence - 10~11

Bass - 1

Mid - 10

Treble - 2

Gain - 2

19)

Mode - Orange

Silicon Diodes

Bold

Master - 2:30

Presence - 2:30

Bass - 11

Midrange - 2

Treble - 2:30

Gain - 11

20)

Mode - Red

Bold

Silicon Diodes

Master - 9:30

Presence - 9:30

Bass - 11

Midrange - 2:30

Treble - 1:30

Gain - 1

21)

Mode - Blues

Bold

Silicone Diode

Bass - 10 - 11

Gain - 2 - 2:30

22)

Mode - Orange

Bold

Silicone Diode

Bass - 10 - 11

Gain - 11 - 11:30

23)

Orange

Silicon

Bold

Bypass effects loop.

Gain -11-1

Treble - 3+

Midrange - Full up

Bass - 1-2+

Presence - 1-3

+ = a little more

The "bypass effects loop" on back is important for the sound.
Much respect for that!

i dont find orange cloned boxy, but i use a 33 or a grind pedal with rectos(or some tc variant), that cut some 300hz and below taking some honk with it. every other amp i use a maxon with, but they work perfect for ( me) on rectos. unlike other duals or triples ive had, i cant really find a bad setting on this one. sounds just crushing

I prefer tube screamer type pedals with rectos. The exception is my chiron. I assume that's not a ts circuit anyway. I also like distortion pedals with Marshall's...but I'm kinda fucked up so there's that.....

• Haha
Reactions: rsm
I prefer tube screamer type pedals with rectos. The exception is my chiron. I assume that's not a ts circuit anyway. I also like distortion pedals with Marshall's...but I'm kinda fucked up so there's that.....
I use a Waza Metal Zone with mine. After at least 20 different OD’s, that’s where I settled.

i dont find orange cloned boxy, but i use a 33 or a grind pedal with rectos(or some tc variant), that cut some 300hz and below taking some honk with it. every other amp i use a maxon with, but they work perfect for ( me) on rectos. unlike other duals or triples ive had, i cant really find a bad setting on this one. sounds just crushing
Usually once I boost and EQ the Orange channel to where I like it.... it basically sounds like the Red channel, lol.

Usually once I boost and EQ the Orange channel to where I like it.... it basically sounds like the Red channel, lol.
fair. theres just something to that mode that i like. but im going to set it up so that i can use both boosted and unboosted. hell as good as this thing sounds i may like the red better too! nice to have two brutal channels..

I use a Waza Metal Zone with mine. After at least 20 different OD’s, that’s where I settled.
I use it with mine too now and then, depending on which guitar/pickups I'm holding that day, and also depending on which channel and mode I'm in.
Metal Zone is an especially good choice when on either channel's vintage mode.

Also. The worst friggin loop in the business. When i first cranked it up i forgot to turn off the loop and thought it was broken. Has anyone converted these to series loop and no tone suck??
My tech (authorized for mesa warranty work) did mine via Mike's instructions, but with the extra addition of a send-level bypass toggle just as a good way to fill the not-needed mix control slot.

You can remove the send-level pot from the circuit without removing the global output. Not much different than running the send-level at max, but it is just a hair clearer and crisper in bypass.

Of course in bypass you could get clipping with some stomp box pedals if the channel master was also high, so it's more for when not using the loop but still wanting the global output in the circuit.

I got a Tverb recently and haven't A/B'd the two channels that much but I thought the whole channel cloning thing was that one could get the same tones out of either channel?

I know the Orange channel has the "Clean" and the Red channel the "Blues" which is clean like the top channel.

I'm currently using the top channel on Clean as I like it for use with fuzz metals and the bottom channel is my high gain channel.

It sounds like you're saying the Orange to Modern has tonal characteristics that aren't quite the same on the Red Channel?

Yes orange-modern on every version, even the new multi-watts, has a slightly different tone character than their red-modern counterparts.

On the 2-channels with the "cloning" on the back, it is a bigger difference.

On the multi-watts with raw/vintage/modern on the front, the orange-modern and red-modern can be EQ'd to be very close, but still not exactly the same.

I got a Tverb recently and haven't A/B'd the two channels that much but I thought the whole channel cloning thing was that one could get the same tones out of either channel?

I know the Orange channel has the "Clean" and the Red channel the "Blues" which is clean like the top channel.

I'm currently using the top channel on Clean as I like it for use with fuzz metals and the bottom channel is my high gain channel.

It sounds like you're saying the Orange to Modern has tonal characteristics that aren't quite the same on the Red Channel?
Correct. It's actually pretty different. It's obvious still red. But like a different version of it.
I highly recommend checking it out.

20240127_133016 (1).jpg

Here are my favorite overdrives for the Tremoverb.
If just one probably the KHDK Ghoul Screamer.
The KHDK No.2 and VFE Standout are more of a clean boost.
The Dirty Tree is nice but kind of noisy.

Back