Ampeg VH - 140 C in a pedal ?

The cold brutalness is key. It’s such an unrefined, cold and vicious tone, nothing pretty about It. Totally different animal than a tube amp, but it’s own thing and equally cool and fun. I’m hitting mine with a Fortin TS9 and a Gup Tech Quebec in the loop And it’s horrifying. It doesn’t need the QB for added low end since the amp has more than enough, but the presence function is huge since the amp doesn’t have it.
Thanks for dropping the tip about the Quebec! I do believe I might have to try that with mine.

I have the plx spiritus, and also a tagboard clone I made a few years back, pretty fun preamp for old school death metal. I like my tagboard clone a bit more since I added some extra controls, a ‘tight’ knob after the first stage (basically the same as how Amptweaker and friedman do the ‘tight’ knobs on their pedals), and also there is a very aggressive low pass just before the eq and I made that adjustable. Changing the low pass filter can open up the top end a lot but it also gets very un-vh140-like quick.

One I haven’t seen anyone make a clone of is the gx130c, which appears quite similar but eq looks different from what I remember.

Then there’s the earlier SS140 which is quite different circuit-wise. But those ones don’t have the cult following so I don’t know how many people would care.

Aion make a Vh140c pcb and their build docs have a much easier to read schematic than the factory schematic. Though the big electrolytics on the clipping stages are backwards. The factory Schem shows + to ground, and their patent for that clipping circuit also shows + to ground. Dunno if it matters, I tried it both ways on my clone but I don’t recall if I heard a difference (was a couple years ago)
I used an SS-140C for years and recorded a few EPs with it. I loved it for old school death and thrash rhythm tones. It has a little less gain than a VH-140C but is brighter and a little tighter to my ears.

I used an SS-140C for years and recorded a few EPs with it. I loved it for old school death and thrash rhythm tones. It has a little less gain than a VH-140C but is brighter and a little tighter to my ears.

Jimmy bower is still using his with eyehategod

Jimmy bower is still using his with eyehategod
20230427_222244.jpg

Oh nice, I caught them the last time through STL and was puzzling over what Ampeg he was using here with a Boss SD-1. Sounded killer!

Back