NAD Incoming: Diezel Hagen

Soundstorm

I've been looking at getting one of these for over a year now, but originally decided to go the VH4 route (which is an amazing amp obviously). One popped up and I decided to get it. It's going to have to go head to head with the Metalhead modded JCM 800, so we'll see who the winner is for the sound I'm trying to achieve. I really don't like having more than one high dollar "main" amp (I know that's a crime here), but due to the rarity of the Metalhead I might have to make a rare exception and just hang on to that one. Anyone else own/owned a Hagen and have suggestions?

I love my Hagen.

Tone's a personal thang, let us know what you think once you've spent some time blowing windows outta yer hizzy 🤩

I've been looking at getting one of these for over a year now, but originally decided to go the VH4 route (which is an amazing amp obviously). One popped up and I decided to get it. It's going to have to go head to head with the Metalhead modded JCM 800, so we'll see who the winner is for the sound I'm trying to achieve. I really don't like having more than one high dollar "main" amp (I know that's a crime here), but due to the rarity of the Metalhead I might have to make a rare exception and just hang on to that one. Anyone else own/owned a Hagen and have suggestions?

Congratulations! Hope you like the Hagen!

That's not a crime here, btw.

Congrats on the incoming Hagen!!

I’m interested in your opinions comparing the two. From recordings the Hagen sounds very sonically balanced. There’s a top end snarl that owners say isn’t recto like so I’m interested to hear what you think it sounds like.

I traded a Herbert for a Hagen and was very happy. I've never had a VH4, but liked the Hagen > Herbert as it was less compressed. Of course, as with most everything I eventually sold or traded it, and I cannot remember why other than just to try something else. Solid amp for sure.

When I owned both, I did a very long and detailed channel by channel comparison in the Diezel forum. You may find this helpful.
Yes I read those posts. I actually DM'd you a long time ago and you recommended I read them. Great detail, very insightful. I ended up going with the VH4 after that. Now I'll have the Hagen just to compare myself. I most likely will have one or the other from here on out. To my ears, judging by videos only, it seems like Peter made the tweaks to the VH4 that I would've wanted for my own tastes. I won't be home for a couple weeks so it'll be awhile before I can try it out. 😓

I just picked up a Hagen about 10 days ago. My favorite amp. I had one for about 7 years, unloaded it and regretted ever since. So I was beyond excited to be able to get another one. The amp sounds great. Hitting it with an EQ/OD in front and EQ post just makes it roar, such a beast. Mean and pissed sounding is my best description.

Yes I read those posts. I actually DM'd you a long time ago and you recommended I read them. Great detail, very insightful. I ended up going with the VH4 after that. Now I'll have the Hagen just to compare myself. I most likely will have one or the other from here on out. To my ears, judging by videos only, it seems like Peter made the tweaks to the VH4 that I would've wanted for my own tastes. I won't be home for a couple weeks so it'll be awhile before I can try it out. 😓
Great...Yeah, it was a tough decision for me but I couldn't justify keeping both. The Hagen is a great amp.

I just picked up a Hagen about 10 days ago. My favorite amp. I had one for about 7 years, unloaded it and regretted ever since. So I was beyond excited to be able to get another one. The amp sounds great. Hitting it with an EQ/OD in front and EQ post just makes it roar, such a beast. Mean and pissed sounding is my best description.
Yeah I saw you'd picked up another, congrats! What EQs and ODs are you using? You just tightening up the low end? Post EQ- in the loop or the DAW?

Can you post some clips? There’s not much out there on the Hagen unfortunately

Yeah I saw you'd picked up another, congrats! What EQs and ODs are you using? You just tightening up the low end? Post EQ- in the loop or the DAW?
Right now I’m using a Lichtlaerm Audio Spyglass https://lichtlaermaudio.com/shop/amber-spyglass for EQ (pushing mids) then I have about 7 OD pedals on a switcher that I can choose between. But all are set with gain very low, volume high and EQ to taste. They all sound good with it so just about anything works well. Then a 5 band Mesa EQ (in a smile to push bass and treble) after the Suhr Reactive Load. That’s how I play it 99% off the time, sometimes through a cab but not much.

Congrats on the incoming Hagen!!

I’m interested in your opinions comparing the two. From recordings the Hagen sounds very sonically balanced. There’s a top end snarl that owners say isn’t recto like so I’m interested to hear what you think it sounds like.
It's a sizzly snarl...the top end has this sizzling snappy snarl to it. It's fkn magnificent.

I traded a Herbert for a Hagen and was very happy. I've never had a VH4, but liked the Hagen > Herbert as it was less compressed. Of course, as with most everything I eventually sold or traded it, and I cannot remember why other than just to try something else. Solid amp for sure.

The Herbert always seemed the more popular model of the two. 180w is lunacy, though! The Hagen seems to be a more traditional offering, in a good way. Sadly have never tried either, just have heard good things from those who have.

The Herbert always seemed the more popular model of the two. 180w is lunacy, though! The Hagen seems to be a more traditional offering, in a good way. Sadly have never tried either, just have heard good things from those who have.
As WELL DOCUMENTED over the many years, I never gelled with the Mk1 of the Herbert. Is what it is. Would I wanna try the MkIII, yes. But having 2 x VH4, Hagen and D-Moll, I'm kinda stacked in the Diezel department. But the thing about the Hagen that makes me grow a rubbery one - takes single coil axes with this amazing ease and clarity - has an incredible openness to it, almost raw vs the "processed" VH4 tone (but don't get me wrong, LOVE my VH4s) - it's SO versatile - and its dynamics can change incredibly with the interplay between MV and CV ratios. It's just a killer killer amp. I know a lot of cats just didn't/don't dig it - that's their jam and not my business to question their tonal wants and wishes. But for me?? It's the fact it opens up this huge territory of "let's see what we can do here, where will this go, how far will this go" attitude. It's inspirational. For me.

I'll shut up now 😂

As WELL DOCUMENTED over the many years, I never gelled with the Mk1 of the Herbert. Is what it is. Would I wanna try the MkIII, yes. But having 2 x VH4, Hagen and D-Moll, I'm kinda stacked in the Diezel department. But the thing about the Hagen that makes me grow a rubbery one - takes single coil axes with this amazing ease and clarity - has an incredible openness to it, almost raw vs the "processed" VH4 tone (but don't get me wrong, LOVE my VH4s) - it's SO versatile - and its dynamics can change incredibly with the interplay between MV and CV ratios. It's just a killer killer amp. I know a lot of cats just didn't/don't dig it - that's their jam and not my business to question their tonal wants and wishes. But for me?? It's the fact it opens up this huge territory of "let's see what we can do here, where will this go, how far will this go" attitude. It's inspirational. For me.

I'll shut up now 😂
Can you explain more about the CV/MV ratios?

Back