Matchless eXcalibur 30 SOLD

That1Guy

SOLD

The EL84-based eXcalibur 30 is loud, chimey, and articulate with plenty of gain. Of course bold and harmonically complex Matchless cleans are accounted for although it doesn't get squeaky clean above bedroom volumes. These were designed with the OD channel of the Independence in mind. I had an Independence and this is a different animal. Outside of the difference in the power section, it's much more saturated and fills a larger sonic footprint. I'm not saying it's better, just different. This head has a few things in common with the Avalon platform: Hybrid construction including point to point wiring, circuit tracing, and turret style construction & these amps tend form cracks in the plexi front/rear panels. I tried to picture all faults as best as I could. Also, on a side note the front and back wood panels are velcro'd on which was in interesting choice for Matchless. I've never had a problem with them coming off, rattling, etc and it actually makes changing/rolling tubes super convenient.
IMG_4019.jpeg

Last edited:
^

Attachments

• tempImagecqaCAn.png
    tempImagecqaCAn.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 15
  • tempImage8EvYdE.png
    tempImage8EvYdE.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 11
  • tempImageygtqN4.png
    tempImageygtqN4.png