SOLD: Ernie Ball Music Man (EBMM) Big Al 5 SSS (Factory One-Off)

Emperor Guillotine

DESCRIPTION:
I have for sale an absolutely beautiful EBMM Big Al in a sterling silver sparkle finish color, loaded with a triple single-coil pickup configuration. This bass is a one-off anomaly from the factory floor.

Specs:
• Body wood: African mahogany
• Color: Sterling Silver Sparkle
• Body finish: gloss
• Scale length: 34" (864mm)
• Neck wood: maple
• Neck construction: bolt-on
• Neck finish: gunstock oil with hand-rubbed special wax blend
• Neck width at nut: 1-1/2" (38.1mm)
• Neck width at last fret: 2-1/2" (63.5mm)
• Fretboard wood: maple
• Fretboard radius: 11" (279mm)
• Frets: 22 wide, high-profile
• Pickups: three EBMM neodymium single-coils
• Preamp controls (knobs) :
—— Passive Preamp Mode: volume, tone
—— Active Preamp Mode: volume, 4-band EQ
• Switching controls (buttons) :
—— active/passive preamp mode selector
—— series/parallel mode selector
—— three pickup on/off selectors (running as full SSS pickup config)
• Bridge: Music Man chrome-plated steel plate with stainless steel saddles
• Tuners: Music Man lightweight tuners

The original Music Man Big Al hardcase from the factory will be included in the sale.

According to the EBMM serial number database, this particular Big Al bass was manufactured in 2019, which strangely enough was four years after the Big Al model was discontinued by Music Man.

Several years ago, Sweetwater ordered a very small dealer run of Big 5 SSS basses in this exact sterling silver sparkle finish color with maple fretboards. If I recall correctly, the year of the run was back in 2014 or 2015. However, those basses for Sweetwater all had the headstocks painted silver to match the body finish. As you can see, this particular Big Al does not have the headstock painted to match the body. The headstock on it has been left totally natural.

Upon suspecting that the neck was perhaps swapped with a neck from another Big Al 5, I popped the neck off of this bass only to find that the serial number stamped on the inside of the neck heel pocket of the body and stamped on the base of the neck both matched. This means that the neck and body are both original; and it confirms that this bass was a one-off.

On a much lesser (rather inconsequential) note: the black pickguard that you see on this bass came installed from the factory. The Big Al basses in the Sweetwater dealer run all came with white pearloid pickguards from the factory. As far as pickguards for Big Al models go, I've seen black pickguards only on ones that came in the blue finish color, green sparkle finish color, and sunburst finish color. So, I'm assuming a leftover pickguard was grabbed from the supply and put on this bass to complete the build. This tiny detail could possibly serve as further confirmation that this bass was a one-off.

The Big Al models (specifically ones with the SSS pickup configuration) were truly some of the most versatile basses ever put into the market thanks to the tightly integrated design of the preamp, the control layout, and the extensive switching system, all of which offered players immense flexibility over tonal sculpting. Once you grasp the layout of the Big Al’s onboard controls, it is ridiculously easy to dial-in whatever bass tone suits your needs for the style of music that you are playing.

CONDITION:
Incredibly clean with little-to-no signs of wear.

PRICE:
$3,000 OBO + shipping

I can work with interested buyers on all shipping concerns domestically or internationally.

PHOTOS:

IMG-E6306.jpg

IMG-E6307.jpg

IMG-E6312.jpg

IMG-E6314.jpg

IMG-E6319.jpg

IMG-E6308.jpg

IMG-E6322.jpg

IMG-E6323.jpg

IMG-E6325.jpg

IMG-E6328.jpg

IMG-E6326.jpg