Wasted Years -Isolated Guitars

You not kidding about the mix neutering the guitars. Hearing this as a guitarist it was like hearing it for the first time all over again. Thanks man. I have always EF'ing loved this song.
Very well stated. Everything about the song is awesome, but going back and listening to the full band just isn’t the same.

Woah! I have been jamming along to that tune for almost as long as it has been out. So much more going on in the rhythm tracks than I thought. Need to relearn it now.

Too cool! Thanks for posting that.

I always loved that album cover, there's so much hidden stuff on it and even a nod to the now-gone Texas Tapes 'N Records in South Houston.

I've never really been into Maiden, but I've always respected their talent. Having said that, Wasted Years is my favorite Maiden tune. Fuck, the mix really killed so much of what's going on with these tracks. These guitars sound gigantic.

Very cool hearing this, and how much of the detail gets lost in production.

Maiden were my metal crush in the 80s. I had whatever posters and tshirts I could get my hands on. Live after Death was their first album I bought, and I'm pretty sure I bought it because of the artwork. I'm not sure I even knew their songs yet. I had a few more of their albums before Somewhere in Time came out my senior year of high school.

One of the best Maiden tracks of all time yet doesn’t sound very much like their typical stuff at all. This is the right way to do a lighter more commercial song as it doesn’t sound poppy or glammy like hair metal bands do.

Seems like they were going for some stadium symphony orchestra type of sound on S.I.T. and Seventh Son, great albums but I never understood that mixing choice when they had already nailed such an awesome mix and guitar tone all the way back on NOTB.

So cool to actually hear this the way it should have been heard. Sounds like the GK amp on the left and maybe a Marshall on the right side. Whatever they used sounded epic.

Reactions: MTS
Sounds killer, and I always loved the spacey futuristic sounding mix on Somewhere In Time, it is my fav. Maiden album, it is perfect as it is. Honestly I get a little choked up by this song when I hear it. Up The Irons!

Back