Bogner Uber Ultra - A complex, complicated Monster

Bad.Seed

Hey fellas,
Figured I'd drop by and put my Uber Ultra playthrough here.
I've seen a lot of discussion around this amp, as well as a lot of people either being disappointed or confused by the controls, and how to dial in a good tone.
I will admit, it's very easy to get bad sounds out of this amp if you're not adjusting the many controls to suit the current settings on the power amp controls.

Once you find the spots where everything lines up though, it can be an absolutely monster. Tight, compressed, and incredibly punchy. You guys know me, I'm a boost junky by nature, but this is one of the few amps I truly like better with no pedals in front. Once tweaked (although sometimes with great difficulty) to taste, this thing punches as hard or harder than any other amp I've played.

To those of you who have actually spent some time with one of these - what were your thoughts?

I would agree with much of what you said, but just found the amp’s inherent tone for my taste to be lacking richness/warmth/complex tone. I found it (regardless of settings) to be inherently very clinical/filtered and cardboardy sounding like the omegas, driftwoods and KSR’s

It was hard to rival in the punch department like you said, but my Wizard Hell Razor and some Hermansson’s outdid it there too, so between those and the Original Uber (which was light years ahead in feel and richer tone quality) I couldn’t justify keeping it, but I think it’s quite solid overall for a modern readily available amp and will admit it slightly outdid my original in punch and power, also could get way tighter and more cutting, but was just too far behind in tone itself and feel for my taste, JMO (which was asked for lol)

Also, it was a bit less distinctive somehow on individual notes on faster riffs despite being tighter than the original. The mark 7 had the same problem when AB’ed with my iic+. It was weird in that way

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to give mine a go this weekend.

Pros: absolutely the ultimate Uber IMO. Rev Green, Blue and modern, super tight and aggressive offerings are all in there. Can get comically rediculous the amount of tight gain you can dial in when you set it up right.

Cons: While most folks are going to say "no kidding", this really is a modern metal amp. The clean is OK for a high gainer, but lower gain settings on Uber mode or crunch mode are very meh IMO. The amp really excels when dialed up for metal tones. For me personally, the past few years I have been getting more into amps that have more of a vintage feel; open and not saturated.

Not really a knock on the amp....it excels at what it was made for and I probably would have loved it 20 years ago when I played alot more of the brutal stuff. My friend who tried it out with me when we jammed absolutely loved it. I will keep tweaking it...but likely going to move it along.

So glad you are demo-ing the Uber Ultra for us!!
I love it when you put an amp through it's paces.

The Uber Ultra is definitely on my list

Keep up the great work, Kyle!!

Yeah, good job Kyle. The music in the background in the first segment was a little distracting but generally, that is a pretty small thing to complain about. Thanks,

With the right tubes, it can do anything the earlier Ubers can do and a lot more. It’s by far the tightest, most aggressive version of the Uber ever, and it has surprisingly nice clean and crunch tones.

That said, I can’t stand the Uber power amp mode or the Bright mode on Channel Two. Pretty much unusable to me. They should’ve switched the labels of the Uber and Hair + modes, as the Hair + mode sounds closest to the voicing of the earlier Ubers.

Thanks for the review Kyle. Also looking forward to hearing your views on the Bogner Ecstasy you picked up.

Great video. Very impressive amp .
Metal is not my 1st choice but that amp delivers on many levels . Any pro / con observations concerning the effects loop ?

Good demo. However, I'd assume running through that many boost/OD pedals, even if they're all switched off, would not sound as good as plugging straight in, what with all those buffers interacting with each other. Not to mention all that extra cabling. I think you'd better be served by having all those pedals going through their own loops in a BOSS ES-5 or similar unit so you're only going through one pedal buffer at a time (or none at all).

Last edited:
Good demo. However, I'd assume running through that many boost/OD pedals, even if they're all switched off, would not sound as good as plugging straight in, what with all those buffers interacting with each other. Not to mention all that extra cabling. I think you'd better be served by having all those pedals going through their own loops in a BOSS ES-5 or similar unit so you're only going through one pedal buffer at a time (or none at all).

It can take a boost very well in Uber mode on Channel Two, but it really doesn’t need it when dialed in correctly.

Back