David Lee Roth - Live In Detroit - 1986 - 1080p - Remastered

JohnnyGtar

David Lee Roth - Live In Detroit - 1986 - 1080p - Remastered+​

This show has been on YouTube forever but I hadn't heard this particular version. Whoever remastered it made it sound really bright. I had to turn the high end down a lot but once I did it ain't bad. I'm gonna download it, play it on VLC Media Player and tweak the EQ settings further. It's a very good free video/audio player. Link: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

If Dave would have kept this lineup and played this kind of music, well it's like Vai said: "If we had stayed together we could sell out the Sahara desert."

Last edited:
This takes me way back. I saw this tour in the front row back then. It was a killer show and the band was ridiculously good. I know it may be sacrilege, but for me Eat Em and Smile is my favorite Vai playing. This tour was so killer. Thanks for posting. I believe that Tesla opened the show I went to. Never heard of them but went and bought their record after that show. ha.

Eat Em tour was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I saw VH several times at the height of their live glory with Dave and the Eat Em tour was right there with them. Easily my favorite period of Vai. Just a massive over the top show. Saw the Skyscraper tour and while good it just didn't have the punch the tour before had. Some of that was missing Sheehan and some of it was the music.

Wow. I remember buying this on vinyl and wearing the grooves out. For my ear, this is also my favorite Vai playing. I know he has done way more advanced / complex stuff over the years, but there was something so 'real' and 'rock-n-roll' about his playing on this album - while still being light years ahead of the majority of the 'pack' at the time. Jeezus, his leads on this live recording are just spot-on. No nerves, no flubs, just razor sharp. And what a tone. Its like his lead tone had zero 'grit' to it - just glassy and 'stretchy' for lack of a better term.

I saw DLR with Vai twice back in the day. In 1986 I would have been a very impressionable 14 or 15 year old kid and was obsessed with going to shows. Had also only just started to play guitar a few years earlier. Talk about an impression after witnessing that band! As DLR would say "WOAH!"

Saw VH in 1980 and the Eat Em Tour was way more "Van Halen" than the 5150 Tour.
Yep, exactly.

Saw the 5150 tour and it was really like watching a band that sanitized themselves overnight. Two of the most hyped crowd concerts I ever saw was VH on the Diver Down tour and Roth on the Eat Em tour.

On the Diver Down tour, VH had "After the Fire" opening who where getting video play off the song Der Kommisar on MTV. Fans went crazy throwing shoes, coins, drinks, those guys lasted three songs. By the time VH came on crowd was in a frenzy.

Last edited:
I’ve got that Detroit bootleg on audio . Saw two shows here in San Francisco

4C5A134F-70DC-467B-87E3-CF1316C1DE71.jpeg
CAE0F347-7888-45D3-8440-8B2AD35C5BE0.jpeg

Saw them on this "Eat 'Em and Smile" tour and loved it! Cinderella opened at my show and I know they opened at several others. I was up around row 5 in the center as a 13 year old and it was ridiculously awesome. :)

This was Vai's introduction to me. I remember my mind being blown when I found out he was the devil's guitar player in that Crossroads movie with Ralph Machio. LOL

Last edited:
Saw them on this "Eat 'Em and Smile" tour and loved it! Cinderella opened at my show and I know they opened at several others. I was up around row 5 in the center as a 13 year old and it was ridiculously awesome. :)

This was Vai's introduction to me. I remember my mind being blow when I found out he was the devil's guitar player in that Crossroads movie with Ralph Machio. LOL
Cinderella opened both shows here , they were great
C6CC4019-52F9-4345-8280-85A66282A039.jpeg

I think they may have been my first concert in Biloxi MS, Cinderella and DLR. I was about 15, right about the time I started playing guitar.

I think they may have been my first concert in Biloxi MS, Cinderella and DLR. I was about 15, right about the time I started playing guitar.
Yep, damn I remember that night, good times. Shy Boy was transcribed in Guitar For The Practicing Musician and I bet I spent 500 hours trying to learn that intro at speed and never got it.

November 8, 1986Biloxi, MSMississippi Coast ColiseumCinderella

Damn, look at this tour…lot of dates:
https://www.vharchives.com/dlrtour19861987

In context: all this unparalleled kick ass arena stunt cock rock while the remnants of the mighty VH morphed into REO speedwagon tisk tisk spammy.....

In context: all this unparalleled kick ass arena stunt cock rock while the remnants of the mighty VH morphed into REO speedwagon tisk tisk spammy.....
That is BY FAR the best description of those 2 bands. Your post won the internet today.

Back