Gibson R9

My problem is they invariably need a set up and a refret. I’ve never played one in a store that didn’t need a setup on the action and their tiny ass frets would have to go. The only thing I like about them is they tend to be light. So many too, don’t even look that great. For 6K plus everyone should have a banger of a top. They sound OK but I can replicate the pickups and wiring in a much cheaper, more ready to go guitar. I think they’re a total rip off as a new guitar, even used actually.

My problem is they invariably need a set up and a refret
Then obviously they aren’t the guitar for you lol. I’ve prob owned 2 dozen Gibson LPs and I’ve never done one refret. And I play my ‘04 R8 every day.

As for needing a setup—where are you buying these guitars? Didn’t you notice these issues before you bought them?

I have played a real 59 and it felt nothing like my custom shop stuff. Neck was different...it was just different. There's another member on here who has played a couple and felt the same as me. For all of Gibsons talk about being accurate on their repro's they are not.

I have played a real 59 and it felt nothing like my custom shop stuff. Neck was different...it was just different. There's another member on here who has played a couple and felt the same as me. For all of Gibsons talk about being accurate on their repro's they are not.
Never owned a real 58 but I love my R8s—maybe that’s a good thing?

Never owned a real 58 but I love my R8s—maybe that’s a good thing?
if you got the money then go for it...lol...it was an odd experience. after the initial shock of being handed a 59 burst....it hit me that it felt completely different. The neck and even the body. The body actually felt thicker with sharper edges. Sounds crazy I know...

Customs are very different feeling and sounding guitars than R9. Thinner, more D schaped neck, more glossy finish, usually heavier, Nashville bridge with bushing, 9-hole relief. Different enough to own both 😀
There are prehistoric/90s Reissues era, a lot of killer tops. 04-12 era and the latest 13-23 era. The latest ones are just great guitars for vintage sounds, Customs are rock machines.

Then obviously they aren’t the guitar for you lol. I’ve prob owned 2 dozen Gibson LPs and I’ve never done one refret. And I play my ‘04 R8 every day.

As for needing a setup—where are you buying these guitars? Didn’t you notice these issues before you bought them?
As Gibson makes them, they are definitely not for me. I have never bought one, because of these issues. I have never demo’d an R9 and had the impulse of doing what it takes to make it mine.

As Gibson makes them, they are definitely not for me. I have never bought one, because of these issues. I have never demo’d an R9 and had the impulse of doing what it takes to make it mine.
Well if you feel you need to immediately refret a $3k+ guitar I would come to a solid conclusion that that guitar isn’t the instrument for you. They def are for me

Last edited:
I have five R9 les pauls currently but ive owned a bunch of them over the years, i love them and my current lineup has been with me for a long time.

I be getting in a 2006 era R9.... but on the other hand i itch for a Heritage H150CC when i hear this

A clear difference which the H150CC sounded more organic, way huge and harmonically richer and compressed....

Pics didn't upload correctly, but should be fixed now in post #20.

I had a used 2022 Murphy R8 I flipped. It was amazing but the narrow tall frets were too bumpy when I moved around the fret board. I actually miss the bigger neck on the 58. I even considered a re-fret it was so good. But I was skittish to do that to a new guitar, so I bought an R9 Murphy.

It's awesome as well and the medium jumbo frets are more my style. Plus there is some flame...though the plain top I had was pretty sweet too.

Both sounded almost identical to my ear with the same custombucker pick-ups.

I don't know what your budget is but I got 25% off the new one from a small dealer which is about what they go for on used market. Larger dealers barely offered 10% off. I was like you pay that in reverb fees so why can't you give me more than 10% direct.

Here is the 59 (Dirty Lemon) and the 58 (Lemon Burst).

View attachment 294881
ATTACH=full]294881[/ATTACH]View attachment 294884View attachment 294872View attachment 294875View attachment 294878

Back