NBPAD! Classic VHT content…

JerEvil

So as I am amassing more preamps for the home studio, I’ve been wanting to up my power amp game. Got this about a week ago.

I’ve wanted a 2/90/2 for well, basically ever! Found one on Reverb for $1400. Made a lower offer, naturally, and here we are!

This is a pretty early one as you can see with the Power/Standby’s in the middle. What I’ve been told through guys that know, due to some internal stuffs, these are the ones to get.

Anyway, for the 10 minutes it worked it was glorious. Turns out there were 3x KT88’s and 1x 6550 in it. None were anywhere near matched. The mismatch caused the slowblo fuse to blow. Also 2 of the center guide pins were broken off in the tube sockets.

Anyway. Ordered a new quad of 6550’s at the reco of Steve Fryette as he said the recent KT88’s he’s encountered just haven’t been stellar. Anyway, picking it up today from my amp guy.

Thankfully the seller agreed to cover the cost of tubes.

Regardless of the kerfuffle, I’m still stoked for the amp.

Attachments

• A74555F5-3DAF-4BD9-BEBC-2357BFC2FEAA.jpeg
    A74555F5-3DAF-4BD9-BEBC-2357BFC2FEAA.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4785.jpeg
    IMG_4785.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
Too bad on the tube hassle, but congrats. That looks like a killer setup.
I have a KSR PA50 and love it with the Synergy gear, but wish it were rack based instead of the lunchbox style.

Too bad on the tube hassle, but congrats. That looks like a killer setup.
I have a KSR PA50 and love it with the Synergy gear, but wish it were rack based instead of the lunchbox style.
Yeah I’ve the the PA-50 as well and for sure the format isn’t always ideal.

I had a 2/90/2 and a 2/50/2 and I thought they were both killer sounding power amps.

I was mainly using a JMP-1 with power amps and I had decided to sell both of them since I had thought the Marshall EL34 50/50 worked best with the JMP-1 plus I was running out of rack space and 5 power amps in the same rack made it extremely heavy.

I did feel the VHT/Fryette had a special thing happening for clean settings that I could not reproduce with any other power amp.

Additionally, the VHT/Fryette power amps allow 4-8-16 ohm pairing of cabs where the Marshall/Mesa ones were restricted to either a 4-8 ohm or 8-16 ohm pairing.

I had recently picked up a few ENGL power amps so the VHT/Fryette power amps will be next on my Need-To-Get again in the near future :cool:

I had a 2/90/2 and a 2/50/2 and I thought they were both killer sounding power amps.

I was mainly using a JMP-1 with power amps and I had decided to sell both of them since I had thought the Marshall EL34 50/50 worked best with the JMP-1 plus I was running out of rack space and 5 power amps in the same rack made it extremely heavy.

I did feel the VHT/Fryette had a special thing happening for clean settings that I could not reproduce with any other power amp.

Additionally, the VHT/Fryette power amps allow 4-8-16 ohm pairing of cabs where the Marshall/Mesa ones were restricted to either a 4-8 ohm or 8-16 ohm pairing.

I had recently picked up a few ENGL power amps so the VHT/Fryette power amps will be next on my Need-To-Get again in the near future :cool:
Man I’ve yet to try an Engl power amp. I’ve owned plenty of their amps but never a straight power amp.

Congrats!

I bought a VHT 2/90/2 in the mid 2000's. I still have it, still works great.
IMO, VHT / Fryette poweramps are the best tube poweramps money can buy. You're gonna love it.
Man I’m super stoked about it for sure.

Congrats!

I bought a VHT 2/90/2 in the mid 2000's. I still have it, still works great.
IMO, VHT / Fryette poweramps are the best dedicated tube poweramps money can buy. You're gonna love it.
You, Dean DeLeo and Vernon Reid can't be wrong!

Nice power amp.Definitely an early one.Mine is a later one that looks almost like my 2 50 2.In fact it's hard to tell them apart at long distances.Great power amps.Welcome to the vht club!

Your ordeal is EXACTLY why I bought and own tube testers. I don't leave anything to chance with tube amps. Glad nothing bad happened to it.

Also, wherever possible, I will replace fuses with a slightly lower rated fuse. For example, my Mesa Strategy 400 "requires" an 8 amp slo-blo fuse, but I replaced it with a 6 1/4 amp slo-blo fuse. I've never had a problem, but if I were, I'd be better protected.

lol..Here I am, having just sold a perfectly good Mesa 50/50 (didn’t have a pre-amp anymore) and I see this thread and start thinking I need a 2:50:2 🤦..or, would love to find a good deal on a VHT Classic. Fuck, I can’t help it. I just love amps period. Not sure why they’re so hard to find but would dig a Marshall EL34 50/50. I did see a 100/100 on GC but it’s overpriced to me and I don’t even have a preamp..lol. Even if I had a Preamp it would sound just fine into the Return of one of my heads. It’s a sickness!

Your ordeal is EXACTLY why I bought and own tube testers. I don't leave anything to chance with tube amps. Glad nothing bad happened to it.

Also, wherever possible, I will replace fuses with a slightly lower rated fuse. For example, my Mesa Strategy 400 "requires" an 8 amp slo-blo fuse, but I replaced it with a 6 1/4 amp slo-blo fuse. I've never had a problem, but if I were, I'd be better protected.
Yeah I’m not super mechanically inclined but I really would live to learn some basic maintenance stuff. My amp guy here in Vegas is a good friend of Dave Friedman’s. Dave is the one that turned me on to him for repairs. He’s super thorough. I’ll mention the fuse thing to him.
lol..Here I am, having just sold a perfectly good Mesa 50/50 (didn’t have a pre-amp anymore) and I see this thread and start thinking I need a 2:50:2 🤦..or, would love to find a good deal on a VHT Classic. Fuck, I can’t help it. I just love amps period. Not sure why they’re so hard to find but would dig a Marshall EL34 50/50. I did see a 100/100 on GC but it’s overpriced to me and I don’t even have a preamp..lol. Even if I had a Preamp it would sound just fine into the Return of one of my heads. It’s a sickness!
Those Marshall power amps are fantastic.
I can’t stay away from rack stuff too long that’s for sure.

I had a 2902/engle530 live rig and it was insanity… palm mutes were lime triphammers
Man I’ll be hooking all these up plus the RedSeven D100 pre and Syn-2 through a VooDoo Lab Hex switcher for sure.

I’ll keep my E530 forever. Love that thing.

Attachments

• IMG_4895.jpeg
    IMG_4895.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Back