Kiss sells catalog, name, likeness, and more

Well actually the articles out there are somewhat misleading because Universal still owns the majority stake in the music catalog.

Essentially it boils down to them selling their Name, Image, Likeness, IP and their share of the music catalog for the reported $300 Million. Further they still have creative and collaborative rights. In some ways it's more like Pophouse bought Equity in Kiss. If Gene and Paul had just washed their hands with it entirely it would have been worth even more millions.

Great explanation that goes into more detail on this podcast if anyone wants to bother.

Bottom line for me as a fan, more power to them and the selling of catalogs, IP's etc... is becoming more and more common place especially the aging artists.

I think the only caveat is whether Ace actually sold the majority of his rights to his makeup image to Gene and Paul. Some say he did, Ace say's he didn't. If Ace still owned a small percentage of his likeness then he might have a little more money coming his way as Pophouse will have to arrange to lease whatever percentage he is owed. Pete outright sold his years ago because he thought it was worthless. Crazy.

Last edited:
Hope this doesn’t kill my KISS tributes!

I’ve said, knowing people in the KISS camp, once I heard this was coming that I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow they tried cracking down on tributes using the logo/licensed makeup designs.

Why does 300m seem kinda low to me? I would have thought they would have gotten way more.

I can’t believe everyone is giving their expert opinion on what they think the catalogue is worth. Is this the gear page?

first band I ever got into as a wee lad. Had the lunchbox and Gene and Ace halloween costumes...lol...remember coming home from school and listening to double platinum live on 8 track.

I LOVE Strutter '78 on Double Platinum. Ace Fuckin' Frehley breaks out a can of whoopass guitar solos on this version.

Here's one of my favorite Kiss concerts. Soundboard recording. Raw AF but somehow still tight. They tore it up that night!

I miss the 60's, everyone would have been yelling SELLOUTS! To me. it's always been about BUZNESS! I never had those hippie ideas like so many back in the day! I hope Ace is/was treated fairly, but that's for the lawyers to figure out. I was never a big Kiss fan, but I did come from an area close to where Ace grew up, my older sisters friends all knew him. I played in a few places where he played around NYC, but all the names were different by the time I played there. I saw Kiss at a rehearsal studio in The Bronx before the makeup, this was before I ever heard of them, not sure if they were Kiss yet, but without the makeup no one would have known anyway. But it was cool when they got popular and we realized it was them.

Seeing as everyone seems to care more about the makeup years, I wonder if I can purchase the rights (and costumes) to Lick it Up, Animalize and Asylum for $tree-fiddy?

Back