A questions about the torpedo studio and using ownhammer IR'

heythere

I have the torpedo studio. And with that, I've been using the ownhammer IR's. My go to has been some of the ownhammer mix folder as opposed to the individual mics he offers. It's a great way to get a fast result. With the studio, you can record channel a and b together in real time.

This in result gives me a very FULL sound, as opposed to recording just one channel. It sounds great. But, I'm noticing within the context of a band mix, using channel A and B together with IR's from the ownhammer mix folder can sound a bit overwhelming. Meaning, they take up a lot of space in the mix. They also don't have as much clarity as it would with an individual mic if that makes sense. FYI, I've experimented w/ keeping one channel a lot higher in volume than the other, but it still sounds a bit too FAT or not enough CUT. It sounds "fuller" than just using one channel, but in context it's a bit much I'm realizing. It's a subtle thing.

After further research, I realized that the mixes are a blend of multiple mics (sometimes up to 4 mics). Which means, to put one MIX IR on channel A and another MIX IR on channel B is just too many mics to be recording in real time with, lol. That's my theory behind it anyways.

I'm wondering how other people handle this. Do you generally just use one MIX IR on one channel and leave it there? Or do you just get away from the Mix folder in general and blend his individual mics to each channel individually. This obviously takes more work. But I'll do what has to be done.

Looking for opinions on people who have experience with this, and getting tracks to sit in the mix better...without of course adding any Eqing or plugins yet. I hope my question makes sense. I'm fairly new to recording with the two notes, but get the basics.

If mono then 1 mix IR is fine (as is one single-mic IR depending on taste etc?), if stereo try 2 single-mic IR's.

With the TN Studio you can mix two Two Notes cab's with real-time adjustability in real-time, try those as that real-time adjustability feature is priceless!

Essentially "everything" in your mix needs to have it's own space via EQ and Panning.

I understand what you men about EQ and panning. But can you or someone answer my general questions about mics vs mixes with personal experience?

Try this: take two different mix irs and pan one hard left and one hard right. Then take two different mic irs and pan one hard left and one hard right. Record each as a separate session but with the same drums, bass, etc. then post soundcloud clips here so we can listen, compare and contrast.

Sure, it's totally subjective.

Regarding OwnHammer Mic Mixes (or anyone's for that matter), they are what they thought sounded best when they captured them, with the mics/cabs/preamps/recording environment/mic blends, via the source and reference monitors/listening environment they used.

So, once you change any of those variables you're essentially starting over, so use what you like, use EQ/HPF/LPF, and Panning to make it work for you in your project(s).

If you're actually asking how to create a great guitar sound and mix, those are moving targets, i.e. a great guitar sound depends on everthing else in the mix. A great mix depends on all the elements in it etc.

(30 years pro audio recording experience, two grammy nominations)

heythere":3kqt6cua said:
I understand what you men about EQ and panning. But can you or someone answer my general questions about mics vs mixes with personal experience?

Back