B+ dropping resistor Wattage

BesaMoogie

First, Merry Christmas to everyone!
My question is, would it be safe to use 1 Watt 10k dropping resistors in the B+ supply for the preamp in a 2203 clone? I know a lot of people prefer to use 2 Watt resistors at this spot. But than again, Marshall used 1 Watt resistors here.
I`m asking because I have some Beyschlage MF MBE resistors at hand which are 1 Watt and would like to use those.
Thanks

You should use 2W because of thermal runaway concerns in an enclosed chassis. You have to remember it’s not use the current draw multiplied by the voltage drop across it, it’s also the thermal stability to dissipate heat, and since the chassis is not air cooled, you need to double up the wattage handling to ensure stability.

Thanks for the replies.
Does the material of the resistor matter at this position in terms of tone/sound? I know, this is splitting hairs and in theory it shouldn`t, but than again, there are people that claim to hear the differences in brands for the filter caps.

Thanks for the replies.
Does the material of the resistor matter at this position in terms of tone/sound? I know, this is splitting hairs and in theory it shouldn`t, but than again, there are people that claim to hear the differences in brands for the filter caps.

Don't underestimate this poison just because it's power/filtering, and not signal path. The whole circuit is reacting when audio signal is running through it, nearly every component can contribute to the tone.

I've played with carbon comp, carbon film, metal film, metal oxide, and wire wound here. They do sound different to me.

Back