Bogner Ecstasy - longer footswitch cable

NVicious

So basically, I want to make a longer footswitch cable for a Bogner Ecstasy 101b than what is supplied as standard with the amp.
Ideally it would be around 10 meters, but 8 is also doable.

I was thinking of desoldering the connectors on both ends, buying a longer cable, soldering the connectors again and that's it?
Is it that easy, or am i missing something?

If this would be the correct route, what cable should i buy that would be a solid replacement?
As far as i can see it is some sort of 7pin din cable right?

Would love some advice on this

Cheers,

Last edited:
Id make a custom adapter that can be plugged in. The XTC footswitch uses midi so you’ll need to use fairly thick gauge wire to reduce voltage drop if you’re not buffering. 22 or so AWG. Thicker than whatever is used on the footswitch.

Don’t be surprised if functions of the amp are unstable or unreliable after extending it these distances without buffering the lines.

Forgot to mention, I'll not be using the bogner footswitch, but a switching unit from EM custom and my quad cortex.

The EM custom will be placed between the amp and my quad cortex, so I can switch the amp channels and boost functions etc via the QC with midi commands.

The proposed longer cable will go from the amp into the EM custom.
A small adapter cable is supplied with the em custom, which connects to the regular bogner footswitch cable.

On the other end of the EM you can connect a regular midi cable which you connect to you preffered midi switcher, in this case the QC.

I could solve this entire situation by placing the EM near the amp and just connect a longer midi cable to the QC, downside to this is that I need a seperate powersupply to power the EM. I'd rather keep the EM at my pedalboard so I can supply power via my cioks. This would then need a longer cable from the amp to the EM, creating this "problem"

Attachments

• 58-large_default.jpg
    58-large_default.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 72-large_default.jpg
    72-large_default.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Id make a custom adapter that can be plugged in. The XTC footswitch uses midi so you’ll need to use fairly thick gauge wire to reduce voltage drop if you’re not buffering. 22 or so AWG. Thicker than whatever is used on the footswitch.

Don’t be surprised if functions of the amp are unstable or unreliable after extending it these distances without buffering the lines.
It's the same din connector type as a midi cable, but it's not midi. It is standard switching but uses a single cable with a multi pin din connector in place of the four 4 trs jacks and cables that would be needed to switch 3 channels, boosts, loop etc... you can't just run straight to a midi controller and have it work, you need a device like voodoo lab control switchers or rjm amp gizmo to actually use midi switching with the xtc.

I'm not familiar with the em boxes mentioned but I used a Medusa cable to a couple voodoo lab control switchers to enable midi switching, you can do same thing with an rjm amp gizmo as I did with the voodoo lab stuff and with the rjm you don't have to have a Medusa cable, you can get single cable with din connectors to use with the rjm...

Last edited:
It's the same din connector type as a midi cable, but it's not midi. It is standard switching but uses a single cable with a multi pin din connector in place of the four 4 trs jacks and cables that would be needed to switch 3 channels, boosts, loop etc... you can't just run straight to a midi controller and have it work, you need a device like voodoo lab control switchers or rjm amp gizmo to actually use midi switching with the xtc.

I'm not familiar with the em boxes mentioned but I used a Medusa cable to a couple voodoo lab control switchers to enable midi switching, you can do same thing with an rjm amp gizmo as I did with the voodoo lab stuff and with the rjm you don't have to have a Medusa cable, you can get single cable with din connectors to use with the rjm...
I have tried the em custom before with an ecstasy I had, and it works. Sold the amp after a while, but now want to buy a new ecstasy and use the same switching method. The EM is basically the same as an amp gizmo only in an even smaller form factor, fits in the palm of your hand.

With the EM you run the standard bogner footswitch cable from the amp to the EM, and then a midi cable from the EM to your midi switcher (QC). And then the amp is midi switchable.

You can use two methods to connect, either decide to keep the EM close to the amp, run the short bogner footswitch cable (which is supplied with the EM) and a long midi cable to your pedalboard/quad cortex (this would need an extra adapter close to the amp to power the EM).

Or you can place the EM on your pedalboard, power it via on-board power supply, use a short midi cable to the QC, and the longer bogner footswitch cable from the pedalboard to the amp.

Ideally I would like to extend the length of that cable a bit. But if it will create issues, I guess it will be better to just keep the EM at the amp and use a standard longer midi cable.

Cool, never heard of the em products, but sounds like youve got the switcher you need. The bogner is standard relay switching, so I don't think cable length would affect anything with it...

Last edited:

I don't think there's any MIDI involved, unless there's been a big change in the amp and footswitch. Pretty sure it's still just latching and momentary switches (with corresponding relays in the amp).

OP, you could just build an extension cable.

I thought he was sending midi over the footswitch since the amp has midi built in. Had no idea it was just momentary switches and non-latching TTL logic. If that’s the case then a longer cable won’t hurt anything at all buffered or not.

An Ecstasy 101B has midi built in? When did that happen?
I always thought he was just sending PC commands from the footswitch to an 8 bit chip for relay and function/channel control but he didn’t include any in/out/thru connectors or storage logic. I believe I’m wrong though as it sounds like the whole amp is just TTL logic as I said before.

Appreciate the answers, I will just have a go at building an extension cable and see if it works. Keep you posted on the results

Back