Crackling noises coming from inside vh4

Savvyray19

I turned on my vh4 yesterday and when i flipped the standby switch not soon after i started hearing this scary noise that kinda sounded like plastic breaking. I know it wasnt the sounds of the tubes warming up cause ive heard that a million times and this sound was something out of the ordinary, like a part being oveloaded or something. From what could tell it sounded like it was coming from right around the power transformer and filter caps or somewhere inside the amp. It went on for about a minute or two and went away. the amp was still working fine. It sounded normal and there wasnt anything funny coming through the speakers and the tubes looked fine. Just seemed very strange. I have yet to open up the amp and take a look but im just wondering what it might have been. The amp is only 2 years old and the tubes were replaced a few months ago. I cant put my finger on what happened but It certainly didnt sound good.

Savvyray19":2jlk4tpa said:
I turned on my vh4 yesterday and when i flipped the standby switch not soon after i started hearing this scary noise that kinda sounded like plastic breaking. I know it wasnt the sounds of the tubes warming up cause ive heard that a million times and this sound was something out of the ordinary, like a part being oveloaded or something. From what could tell it sounded like it was coming from right around the power transformer and filter caps or somewhere inside the amp. It went on for about a minute or two and went away. the amp was still working fine. It sounded normal and there wasnt anything funny coming through the speakers and the tubes looked fine. Just seemed very strange. I have yet to open up the amp and take a look but im just wondering what it might have been. The amp is only 2 years old and the tubes were replaced a few months ago. I cant put my finger on what happened but It certainly didnt sound good.
Sadly, no matter how new tubes are - it's always a crap-shoot as to whether or not they'll last. It only takes one to make "that noise" and it's definitely a disconcerting noise to say the least. Loud, sharp, crackling, random, abrupt, and "out of control". That to me is a power tube. Or power tubes.

Usually if preamps go sideways it's more a swooshing hissing oscillating noise, sometimes pings and crackles, but not with the same intensity as PTs.

Good luck.
V.

Back