Creation my own CAB-MIC impulse without guitar PA response

Talmaci

Hi. guys!
I can not find an answer on this question: how to create my own impulses without adding guitar power amp response in the signal? Does I need a Linear poweramp? If it is true, it is important to use HQ hi-end poweramp?
I want to get an impulse response to plug my guitar amp in the Torpedo Live and get my tone.

In the Torpedo BlendIR capture tutorial, we recommend using a solid state amplifier:

http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=149

The key specs are:

- low output impedance
- flat bandwidth

BUT some people prefer to add an extra color by using a tube amp. ;)

And beware: most of the time the power of an SS amp is given for 4 or 78 Ohm load. If your cabinet is 16 Ohms, you will need to divide the amp power by 2 or 2,5. Meaning a 200W RMS SS amp on 4 Ohms can deliver less than 100 under 16 Ohms. And 100 will not be enough to push the cabinet without adding extra distortion from the amp itself (and you don't want that one).

Thank you for the answer, I have a 120 watt SS amp and want to plug it into 8 Ohm Mesa 4x12". So it will be not enough?

If it's really 120W under 8Ohms, with negligible distortion close to 100W, that should work.

Most of the time I would recommend 250W and have it run at the third/half maxi of the power to get the less harmonic distortion possible.

Please beware of two things:

- If you push too hard your amp it may trigger a thermal security. Most fo the time there is no harm done. Pushing a power amplifier to its max is not always a good choice. ^^
- Set your overall volume with the test signal before sending the capture signal, and protect your hearing.

Back