Def Leppard Joe Elliott Studio Tour

To paraphrase a quote from Joe in this video: "For the early Beatles albums, the studio just told the band to go into the live room and they'd just hit record and go, but for the later 60's albums, they do some live, then all kinds of overdubs, turn the tapes inside out and upside down, etc. In this studio, for recordings, we're not precious about saying 'oh it's got to be live' no it's got to be good."

Fuck yeah, could not agree more.

I mean, if you want to capture the vibe of a live band playing, then sure, record a live band playing. But forbidding yourself from going beyond that and doing what's necessary to make the best sounds come out of the speakers via overdubs or whatever else is possible, simply because of some bullshit code of "musical integrity" you choose to employ that ultimately only results in making the music worse, is kind of a fool's pursuit.

Nobody cares about whether your album was recorded live in one take. They care about whether the sounds coming out of the speakers make them feel good. That's literally all that matters.

Alright enough preaching. Cool studio!

Last edited:
transjack.JPG

Throwing around some good ol’ fashioned rock star money. I haven’t liked them after Pyromania but Joe always seems like a pretty good dude even if he’s in major violation of the 10 year rule on a hairstyle. 😉

To paraphrase a quote from Joe in this video: "For the early Beatles albums, the studio just told the band to go into the live room and they'd just hit record and go, but for the later 60's albums, they do some live, then all kinds of overdubs, turn the tapes inside out and upside down, etc. In this studio, for recordings, we're not precious about saying 'oh it's got to be live' no it's got to be good."

Fuck yeah, could not agree more.

I mean, if you want to capture the vibe of a live band playing, then sure, record a live band playing. But forbidding yourself from going beyond that and doing what's necessary to make the best sounds come out of the speakers via overdubs or whatever else is possible, simply because of some bullshit code of "musical integrity" you choose to employ that ultimately only results in making the music worse, is kind of a fool's pursuit.

Nobody cares about whether your album was recorded live in one take. They care about whether the sounds coming out of the speakers make them feel good. That's literally all that matters.

Alright enough preaching. Cool studio!

im a fool then, i try and record everything one take and actually try to sound like a live band instead of the modern "punch in every measure and sound like a robot" stuff with no soul we have been complaining about for 20 years now, ill gladly stick to the bullshit code and actually play. overdudbbing as the beatles were so great at to add texture is a totally different thing than punching in because you cant play the part.

im a fool then, i try and record everything one take and actually try to sound like a live band instead of the modern "punch in every measure and sound like a robot" stuff with no soul we have been complaining about for 20 years now, ill gladly stick to the bullshit code and actually play. overdudbbing as the beatles were so great at to add texture is a totally different thing than punching in because you cant play the part.

Hey I didn't say there was anything wrong with recording everything live if that's what you want to do and it gets you the results you're looking for. I said that arbitrarily holding yourself back, if that results in not allowing yourself to record music that would ultimately make you happier, because of some arbitrary notion of "integrity," that is a fool's errand.

Music is 100% aesthetic. Either the sound that comes out of the speakers does it for you or it doesn't. If that means you prefer the vibe of one whole band playing live in one take, warts an all, great. But there's also nothing wrong with splicing something cut together from a million takes if it gets you the sound and vibe you're going for.

For the record I'm also not the biggest fan of flawless robot performances either, btw. My favorite music has plenty of human element and flaws in it. But if you have a great vibe except for one place where somebody flubs a note because they sneezed or something, I don't see anything wrong with using some studio magic to fix it as opposed to doing everything all over again and risk losing the great vibe you would have otherwise had.

Back