Down sides to adding extra gain stage?

gulliver

I have a Voodoo modded JCM800 2204 with an extra preamp tube added for a 4th gain stage (brutal mode) and a 5th gain stage (savage mode). These gain stages cannot be switched off.

I understand that there will be more distortion on tap (with more compression), but what happens in brutal mode (4 gain stages) at lower gain levels? Will the amp sound as good as a stock JCM800 with it's three gain stages? Or is there a down side to this mod?

Thanks.

The Savage Mod can be switched out/bypassed by using the lower gain Brutal Mode. The Hex was not designed to run on 3 gain stages but rather to run on a minimum of 4 gain stages. If you roll back the gain control it should clean up very well. Give it a try and see where it takes you. If you would like it Custom Modded to your specs I would be more than happy to accommodate your needs.

Have a great day! :)
Trace

The clean setting (master on 10, pre low) breaks up pretty early, but still sounds nice with the right pickup. To be fair, the EL34s in it are rated in the low 30s, so I could up those for more headroom if I wanted ... but I guess you don't buy a 2204 for clean cleans.

I'm getting some great tones out of this amp. More modern high gain without an attenuator (more preamp distortion), and some super crunchy / crusty tones with an attenuator (pushing the power tubes), using an attentuator to control volume. I'm also able to get plexi type tones with more highs and less gain. So far so good, but I think single note lead playing is more 3D and fluid from my Voodoo deluxe modded 2205. IMHO those clipping diodes that everyone slams are better for very high, modern gain in these amps.

gulliver":1fjdc28d said:
The clean setting (master on 10, pre low) breaks up pretty early, but still sounds nice with the right pickup. To be fair, the EL34s in it are rated in the low 30s, so I could up those for more headroom if I wanted ... but I guess you don't buy a 2204 for clean cleans.

Agreed and well said my friend

gulliver":1fjdc28d said:
I'm getting some great tones out of this amp. More modern high gain without an attenuator (more preamp distortion), and some super crunchy / crusty tones with an attenuator (pushing the power tubes), using an attentuator to control volume. I'm also able to get plexi type tones with more highs and less gain. So far so good, but I think single note lead playing is more 3D and fluid from my Voodoo deluxe modded 2205. IMHO those clipping diodes that everyone slams are better for very high, modern gain in these amps.

We have made updates to the circuit since we had modded that 2204. If you would like it to be smoother and easier to play we can certainly do that for you.

Happy holidays! :)
Trace

Hey Trace I have a Hex modded JMP 2204. Its got Midboost, Global, Feel, Bottom and Savage/Brutal controls. The Bottom control is just a rotary knob. I love the amp but I find myself wanting more aggressive tone. More bottom end would be nice and also I like palm mutes to sound like a bit more thrashy/chunky. I hate to bring up another amp tone but the Fortin mods seem to have the palm mute style I really like. I guess its more of a KARRANG sound rather than a boomy type mute.

I also want a loop so that I can use EQ/Delay. I live in NM and shipping is a killer. Any suggestions?

Back