Dual rectifier and captor 8 setup

adamf

Hi,

I bought a dual rectifier and a captor 8 with the intention of using the captor 8 as a load box. I connected up the DR 8 ohm speaker output to the captor 8 input and powered up the amp. I had the DI of the captor 8 going straight into a Yamaha HS5. I didn’t have an adaptor to power the captor 8 as didn’t believe I needed. Couldn’t get any sound out of the HS5 and then the amp appeared to short. The fuse has definitely blown and I’ve ordered another and I’m hoping I haven’t blown a tube or worse the transformer. Did I do something obviously wrong? I’m a noob to setting stuff up with a load box so obviously made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks!

The XLR DI Out of the Captor requires a power supply to flow signal - on the 1/4" dry line level gets signal without power. Either way, the load is passive, so that in itself should not have been the reason you blew a fuse.

Hate to ask, but are you sure you had it wired properly at the power section? Speaker cable from Mesa 8 Ohm out to Captor 'Speaker In'? Do you know the amp was functional (with a cab for example) prior to using it with the Captor?

Ok that’s good to know that at least I was setting it up the right way. I’m fairly sure I had it plugged into the 8 ohm out on the Mesa and into the speaker in on the captor 8 as I checked that and I did get some (crappy) sound coming out of the speaker before it blew but maybe I didn’t 🙄 I don’t have a cabinet so wasn’t able to try but I was thinking that maybe that would be the sensible thing to try when I replace the fuse (assuming none of the tubes or the transformer hasn’t blown) so I’ll see if I can borrow a cabinet. Stupid question but can you run a 100W head into any cabinet (8 ohm impedance speaker input)?

Back