Headfirst Alta -best amp ever! Video review

Comparing the Suhr SL68 with the Alta is somewhat similar (in my opinion) to comparing a 1968 Plexi with a Late 70’s 100W master volume JMP 2203.

The late 70’s 2203 does not ‘punch’ quite like the Plexi, but it has other redeeming qualities the Plexi does not possess.
They’re just a bit different.

I have an original stock ‘67 100W JTM45 Marshall that punches like a Grizzly bear, but I much prefer the Alta for all the 2203 tones I prefer. Plus, the 3 channels, the loop, clipping, vintage / Modern, bright caps, with endless configurations of each, all midi controlled.

All subjective, I guess.

A closer comparison to the Suhr SL68 (in my opinion) would be a Metropoulos Metro-Plex or a Metro DVL-1.

I get it. I really don't understand the comparison between the sl67/68 and the Alta. They don't really sound like the same amp. Maybe it 's just me.

Comparing the Suhr SL68 with the Alta is somewhat similar (in my opinion) to comparing a 1968 Plexi with a Late 70’s 100W master volume JMP 2203.

The late 70’s 2203 does not ‘punch’ quite like the Plexi, but it has other redeeming qualities the Plexi does not possess.
They’re just a bit different.

I have an original stock ‘67 100W JTM45 Marshall that punches like a Grizzly bear, but I much prefer the Alta for all the 2203 tones I prefer. Plus, the 3 channels, the loop, clipping, vintage / Modern, bright caps, with endless configurations of each, all midi controlled.

All subjective, I guess.

A closer comparison to the Suhr SL68 (in my opinion) would be a Metropoulos Metro-Plex or a Metro DVL-1.
I think you’re spot on. They’re different beasts.

Jason reached out to me last night to explain that and helped me troubleshoot my settings. He recommended I lower the depth, increase the channel volumes and response, use bright 2, etc. I also realized the gain-staging going into my DAW wasn’t ideal, which probably led to a volume discrepancy between the SL68 and the Alta.

With all of that addressed, the amp sounds like a great 2203. Very satisfied now. I’m not used to amps where you can use the full range of the knobs…

I think you’re spot on. They’re different beasts.

Jason reached out to me last night to explain that and helped me troubleshoot my settings. He recommended I lower the depth, increase the channel volumes and response, use bright 2, etc. I also realized the gain-staging going into my DAW wasn’t ideal, which probably led to a volume discrepancy between the SL68 and the Alta.

With all of that addressed, the amp sounds like a great 2203. Very satisfied now. I’m not used to amps where you can use the full range of the knobs…
This! This times 1000. Jason's amps are one of few where the entire sweep of the knob is useable. For example, even his Master Volume is so gently tapered, it's insane... I have to put the master on 8 to get it at the same volume level of other amps where the master is on 4.

I'm glad you got it figured out, though. It's a really awesome amp. And great customer service by Jason.

Back