I Found This Helpful

Brass wire sponges and tiny tin of “tip tinner & cleaner” is all I use. Clean often between soldering applications. Tin the tip before shutting down. No wet sponges for me!

What is the wet sponge for anyway ?
Brass wire sponges and tiny tin of “tip tinner & cleaner” is all I use. Clean often between soldering applications. Tin the tip before shutting down. No wet sponges for me!
Why are wet sponges a no go ?

I've always used a wet sponge and never had a problem. There is no need to speculate too much about everything, otherwise one could feel need to preheat the solder, to avoid thermal shock :)

Yes, I agree. Just today some guys tend to read internet info, before they even dare to turn on the soldering station :)

Yes, I agree. Just today some guys tend to read internet info, before they even dare to turn on the soldering station :)
I learned to solder in the U.S. Army radio repair school.

First job out of the Army was working on the assembly line at Compaq Computer, soldering components on i286 motherboards as they came rolling down a motorized conveyor belt at a pretty good speed.

People are free to have their own opinions. :cool:

I learned to solder at home, since the U.S. Army was far from me forty years ago :)

Of course, I respect everyone's opinion, but I'll say mine too :cool:

Back