Made a quick comparison video of two different G12T-75’s. Let me know how I did.

marshallmel

So I’m trying to do this as a hobby and to get some decent clips of the stuff I have to share with folks that might be interested in certain gear or considering purchasing certain gear. Any tips, comments, or criticisms will be considered.

This was done on two different cabinets both with 75’s. Some older ones and some closer to the newer version. I used an SM57 and a Sterling ST170 into a UA Volt2 and into Ableton.

Thanks!
I think there’s some phase cancellation in that second cabinet.
Maybe speakers aren’t wired correctly?🤔

Or, maybe the cab just sounds like that.

Thank you for making the video!

Thanks!
I think there’s some phase cancellation in that second cabinet.
Maybe speakers aren’t wired correctly?🤔

Or, maybe the cab just sounds like that.

Thank you for making the video!
Might be the two mics slightly out. I tried my best to position them but it’s a bit tricky.

Sounds like you hard-panned the mics but they are out of polarity with each other. Pan them both centre and you'll hear that the signal cancels pretty badly.

If you really want to use two mics then make sure they are equidistant from the speaker, and then always flip one to check polarity. Also, both panned up the middle is better for demonstrations like this. This way you can balance the mics to best reflect what you hear in the room - e.g. you probably want a little more 57 than ribbon.

Really though a single 57 is more foolproof and perfectly adequate - just move it around until it sounds balanced and you're done.

Worth re-uploading this with the corrected audio because it's pretty handy content man.

Hmm, I actually just heard your Def Lepp clip from the other day - it's also suffering the same cancellation issue but looks like it was a single 57?

There's something whacky going on, possible in your DAW if you're applying processing. Try summing to mono, you'll hear the issue immediately.

Hmm, I actually just heard your Def Lepp clip from the other day - it's also suffering the same cancellation issue but looks like it was a single 57?

There's something whacky going on, possible in your DAW if you're applying processing. Try summing to mono, you'll hear the issue immediately.
Thanks for taking the time to check them out. I didn’t pan either one. It goes into the interface and inputs 1&2 are combined. The Def Leppard thing was both mics but I forgot to turn on the phantom power for the ribbon.

Ok interesting. There's some heavy-handed stereo processing going on somewhere that's messing with the audio. Could be in your interface, DAW, or how it's exported to create the video. Let us know how you go.

Only the Def Leppard one of the two has any effects on it. Just reverb and delay with the mix on both about 15%.

Ok interesting. There's some heavy-handed stereo processing going on somewhere that's messing with the audio. Could be in your interface, DAW, or how it's exported to create the video. Let us know how you go.
Here’s how I go.

Mic on cab into UA Volt2 interface and then into Ableton 11. It’s the light version that comes with the interface. I added the ribbon on someone’s suggestion that it might fill out the sound more. I moved it so that the actual diaphragms were roughly the same distance from the speaker. The 75 clip has no effects at all other than a limiter on the master. When I export it’s mp3 and WAV, no dithering, 24 bit, and I think 44.1. I do the video editing in CapCut and then to YouTube.

Here’s how I go.

Mic on cab into UA Volt2 interface and then into Ableton 11. It’s the light version that comes with the interface. I added the ribbon on someone’s suggestion that it might fill out the sound more. I moved it so that the actual diaphragms were roughly the same distance from the speaker. The 75 clip has no effects at all other than a limiter on the master. When I export it’s mp3 and WAV, no dithering, 24 bit, and I think 44.1. I do the video editing in CapCut and then to YouTube.
Maybe it's in the way youtube is processing the video format you've uploaded? It's a weird one, the audio in the video is whack for some reason.

When you sum the WAV you've exported to mono, does it cancel out like the audio when streaming from YT? Post the raw audio here if you can.

It's the latest thing. All the kids are having it done. If you are not sure if you're speakers have been water treated, just check the locks in your home for signs of forced entry. It's that simple!
Was the latest thing. Now the ante has been upped to urinating on speaker cones like everyone says you're supposed to do for stingray stings. Apparently it sucks out all the bad tone? Dunno. Gonna get a friend to try it on their speakers first.

Love your vids Mel.
I actually like the 90's cab...the voicing is darker but sweeter and still has good definition..bet you could bump the presence up another notch and it would be a nice defined cut to it.

Love your vids Mel.
I actually like the 90's cab...the voicing is darker but sweeter and still has good definition..bet you could bump the presence up another notch and it would be a nice defined cut to it.
Thanks for the kind words. It’s a work in progress and I hope to get half as good as some of the guys on this forum at recording. I’m ham fisted now that I’m up in years so no hope of getting any better at playing. 😂

Back