Mesa OS with v30s and Greenbacks?

HarryCooter

I've been drooling over some greenback IRs, so now I'm considering getting some 8ohm greenbacks to throw in my Mesa OS along with the V30s that are in it. I know the greenbacks will be quite a bit quieter, but all I really care about is the sound when mic'ing up the cab. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did it sound? Was it worth it?

if I was going to do that I'd go with higher watt Scumback M75's. I have a Freidman 2X12 with V30s's and a Splawn 2X12 with Scumback in it. together it sounds pretty cool an the Scumback easily keep up with the V30's (65 watt M75's). Friedman used to mix greenbacks and V30's in their 4X12's , with the Greenback son top (they may still do it , I haven't checked in a while)

This was greenbacks in a Mesa OS. The extended low end of the OS subdues the mids a bit and balances the tone nicely imo. Still has that greenback bark with Marshall heads but not as honky as they are in say a 1960 cab.

That sounds amazing. But preferably, I'd like to have the v30s and greenbacks in an X pattern together, so I don't have to swap out cabs when I want one or the other. That's what I'm really curious about. I'm worried about the v30s possibly overpowering the greenbacks even when close mic'ed. I might just have to buy two greenbacks, and if they don't work together, just buy two more.

if I was going to do that I'd go with higher watt Scumback M75's. I have a Freidman 2X12 with V30s's and a Splawn 2X12 with Scumback in it. together it sounds pretty cool an the Scumback easily keep up with the V30's (65 watt M75's). Friedman used to mix greenbacks and V30's in their 4X12's , with the Greenback son top (they may still do it , I haven't checked in a while)
I completely forgot about the Friedman cab. Putting them on top is probably the route to go.

My two main cabs for over twenty years was greenback / V30 and G12H-30 70th Anniversary / V30.

Vintage 30 always on the bottom.

You might want to look at the various creamback speakers. They are closer in wattage to the V30.

Greenbacks and V30’s would probably sound great together in the same cab.

Don’t put them in an X pattern though, it will fuck with your ears because the V30 will be significantly louder than the Greenback so the cab will always sound off balance, and the bottom row being opposite won’t really balance things out because the top row will be much closer to your ears. Instead, put the quieter Greenbacks on top and the louder V30’s on bottom.

i never really bonded with my greenback, but ive never spent any real time recording it either, maybe its time to try again

Greenbacks bring some of the fuller midrange back that V-30s seem to lack. But I’ve never made peace with the power handling disparity: 20 or 25 watts for a Greenback and 60 watts for the V-30.

The M65 Creamback was marketed as a higher wattage Greenback, and while fairly stiff out of the box, I do think the M65 does an admirable job once broken in. My current favorite speaker pairing is the V30 with the M65 Cream. Each speaker brings something that the other lacks and to my ear, they sound incredible together. And at 60 & 65 watts, they don’t overpower each other.

GB’s and V30’s is a great combo, go for it.
Definitely put the GB’s on top, they’ll get buried in X pattern.

i never really bonded with my greenback, but ive never spent any real time recording it either, maybe its time to try again
The greenback IRs I have never really stood out to me until I tried them with my Uberschall. So, maybe try them an amp of that flavor.

Greenbacks bring some of the fuller midrange back that V-30s seem to lack. But I’ve never made peace with the power handling disparity: 20 or 25 watts for a Greenback and 60 watts for the V-30.

The M65 Creamback was marketed as a higher wattage Greenback, and while fairly stiff out of the box, I do think the M65 does an admirable job once broken in. My current favorite speaker pairing is the V30 with the M65 Cream. Each speaker brings something that the other lacks and to my ear, they sound incredible together. And at 60 & 65 watts, they don’t overpower each other.
I would just go with the m65 creamback instead of the m25.
I have only heard comparisons of the M65 and the M25, and the M25 sounds much more open to me which is why I am after it in the first place.

Back