Need help getting a great cleanish sound w/ two notes studio

bluedog25

Hey there,

So I've been recording w/ the two notes torpedo studio w/ various amps. (fender 1964 vibrolux, hot rod deluxe, tone king sky king) and a jan ray pedal and Heritage humbucker guitar.

I am using the Jan ray pedal to boost the sound and cut in the mix, as clean with no pedals can be a bit brittle. I have the gain on the Jan Ray extremely low, the volume high, and treble up and bass down.

I have on the amps volume set to about 2 or 3, treble on 7, bass around 3 or 4. On the torpedo studio, both channels set to 0 DB's.

I am using ownhammer's IR bogner 2x12 from the vintage studio pack, also alnico 1x12 deluxe $5 pack. And also experimenting with lots of the two notes presets.

I still am having a hard time finding a full clean sound w/ nice sparkle, with just a touch of hair to cut. Getting a good overdrive or lead sound is no problem at all.

Is there any advice on what might fix this? Do humbuckers just not work well with the two notes to get a clean sound? I've experimented for hours and can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Depends on the clean sound desired, but I almost always reach for single-coil pups for cleans unless playing jazz or blues or something.

I'd suggest Hiwatt, Fender, or Vox/Matchless type amps with their appropiate cabs/speakers as a good place to start (Fanes with HiWatt, Jensens or JBL's with Fenders, Alnico Celestions with the Vox's, and Celestion Greenback types with the Matchless').

If the Heritage is wired 50's style try backing the pup volumes down to "8" or so too.

Not sure about your pedal?

For Mics try the large copndensers first.

Good luck...

bluedog25":y970160v said:
Hey there,

So I've been recording w/ the two notes torpedo studio w/ various amps. (fender 1964 vibrolux, hot rod deluxe, tone king sky king) and a jan ray pedal and Heritage humbucker guitar.

I am using the Jan ray pedal to boost the sound and cut in the mix, as clean with no pedals can be a bit brittle. I have the gain on the Jan Ray extremely low, the volume high, and treble up and bass down.

I have on the amps volume set to about 2 or 3, treble on 7, bass around 3 or 4. On the torpedo studio, both channels set to 0 DB's.

I am using ownhammer's IR bogner 2x12 from the vintage studio pack, also alnico 1x12 deluxe $5 pack. And also experimenting with lots of the two notes presets.

I still am having a hard time finding a full clean sound w/ nice sparkle, with just a touch of hair to cut. Getting a good overdrive or lead sound is no problem at all.

Is there any advice on what might fix this? Do humbuckers just not work well with the two notes to get a clean sound? I've experimented for hours and can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

copy of my tgp post

I would also check that the Torpedo's power amp section is disactivated as you are using speaker level input passing by an amp as it is. There are captures of a ToneKing Galaxy (Monarch) and (brand new) a 10" Fender Princeton (Silver10) on the TwoNotes boutique which would be worth checking out (you can audition before purchase).

I'd also check the input level and the level going to the DAW. Distorted sounds often mask a minor gain staging issue while a clean sound will have obvious issues and this may be the case. We have gotten fabulous clean sounds will all the units and a suitable amp.

Back