New Amp on the way...

I'm guessing it's probably due for caps? I'm no amp tech. I don't even play one on rig talk.

Sorry for the shipping disaster. It looks fixable, minuse the tolex, with wood glue and some long clamps. I wonder if that chassis fits in a mojotone cabinet? Seems like it would.

Tung Sols should make that baby cleaner than country water, clear as mountain dew.
Looking for a matched sextet of 6L6GC, only seeing JJ so far, but just started looking. Haven't pulled the preamp tubes or EQ tube yet.

The restoration process may take a little time.

Looking for a matched sextet of 6L6GC, only seeing JJ so far, but just started looking. Haven't pulled the preamp tubes or EQ tube yet.

The restoration process may take a little time.
https://www.vivatubes.com/new-match...MI_Mz0-7TjhAMVby7UAR10WwUlEAQYAiABEgL5k_D_BwE

I never ordered from them before though. You might be able to call Tube Depot and get them to square you away. IME they have good customer service. I had these caps go into my Twins:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/cap-set-fender-twin-reverb-ab763-black-face

Remove the chassis, slather in glue, and put a couple two-three pipe clamps across, left to right right to left and let it set up for a day. If it's heavily splintered that may not cut the mustard. Not sure if you could get some dowels set in there to beef it up or not, I haven't had that problem with mine and I hope not to ever. Sorry about all the headache but I think you'll find it worth it in the end. Great to see someone keeping an old beast like that alive.

Reactions: rsm
I should've mentioned the glue="Titebond II" is what you want. Water resistant so you can play shred licks under a waterfall for your upcoming music vid. Excess should wipe right off the tolex with a wet rag after you get the clamps set.

@VonBonfire thanks for the info! Even in it's current state it sounded amazing, looking forward to getting it revived!
Get a bit of time into the repair and some bucks into the guts and tubes and you should be all set for a decade minimum.

Hey now that you got it, what speakers are in there? Pyle?

Damn I’m so sorry that happened! Credit to you for your outlook and attitude about the whole thing! And you’re right - if the amp sounds great and the cabinet can be repaired, hell, why not?!?! It’s still a great acquisition!

Get a bit of time into the repair and some bucks into the guts and tubes and you should be all set for a decade minimum.

Hey now that you got it, what speakers are in there? Pyle?
Yes, looks like the original Fender labeled Pyle, under the thick layer of dust:
IMG_0515.JPG

Pretty bad ass. It's just a huge sound.
thanks, exactly. even with the hum noise, original (power) tubes and likely fading caps, it has a dimensional quality combined with clarity that sounds great to me, and is very responsive to pick attack, everything I wanted...

I wanted a clean amp with lots of headroom, clarity and richness, for awhile, I originally planned to get a Steel String Singer clone - I was close to getting the Ceriatone Overtone SSS 100 (Nik's building my AC-100 Mk II clone now) and looking for other options when I was reminded of the Fender Super Twin Reverb.
I don't use reverb much if at all, so finding a non-reverb one, in what was great shape before UPS got ahold of it, it appears to be all original...like a time capsule.

FWIW, I'm not really into vintage gear; that said this Super Twin sounds good even in it's current state, to me it's worth the time, money and effort to bring it back to life IMO

Update: I called GC the day after I got the amp to report the damage; they asked me if I wanted to return it or keep it, or bring it into my nearest GC. I said I'd bring it in to the nearest GC. Before I had a chance to do that, the manager of the GC that shipped (and well-packed the amp) contacted me. We had a great conversation, and I told him I wanted to keep it. He refunded my shipping and half the price I paid.

I've had mixed experiences with GC (and many others) over the years, but this went above and beyond IMO. He said they would file a claim with UPS; I have the promised refunds; and I plan to use the money to pay for (part of) all new tubes and a re-cap kit. Some caps aren't included in the kit; two are no longer made or available, so I have to figure that out.

Big shout out to a great GC retail store; great packing job, and great customer service. Remember, I didn't contact the store directly, just GC customer service, and never took it in to my nearest GC as I'd decided to just fix it. The selling GC retail manager contacted me directly, and made a bad situation better.

That's awesome RSM, glad it got worked out fairly. That thing is going to be a total beast when you get it done. Keep us posted on that powerhouse classic!

Sounds like a good resolution to me. GC's iffy rep just received at least a single swipe of a paper towel in my eyes based on your situation.

Back