New Pick Incoming...

How are you guys breaking picks? I've had one Jazz III I've used for like 2 or 3 years and it still plays just fine.
I wear 'em down mostly. Minty flow on the left, year-old on the right. Most of the wear happened in the first month or so, and the very tip was gone in a week or two if I recall correctly. I use NYXL 10's and 9's, and put most of the wear on the pick through practicing shallow speed picking (meaning only the very tip gets used).
420-flow-comparison.jpg

Yeah, 7-8 weeks. Maybe USPS was gigging with it before sending it on?

Anyhow, I like it. First impressions are that the tip profile feels almost exactly how I thought it would (as soft or softer than a purple 2mm dunlop when picking super shallow, but with the broad shoulders of the 420 flow when digging in), and it glides over the strings as easy as my 420 flow, if not easier, when strumming. With this pick I can actually hold it pretty near to perpendicular to the body and parallel to the strings and still not have issues strumming. My worn 420 would occasionally catch. It's also stupidly light (my kitchen scale shows 8.7 grams, or about 9 paperclips) compared to what I expected. We'll see how it wears. So far it just seems to get shinier on high-wear spots? Maybe there are tiny scratches? I think it's probably already ahead of my plastic picks though, which was kinda the point.

How's yours been?
I play with it, but still revolve between vpick screamer and winspear rasmussen. Cool pick

I have been jamming the fuck out of this wood makeup of the metal one this morning. Thing is pretty awesome in its own right.View attachment 303627
Nice! Yeah I thought getting a wood one too was a nice bonus. Mine's arctic birch.
20240414_214042.jpg

How's the titanium one holding up? I've been thrashing mine and getting more wear than I hoped for. Still better than my plastic ones I think, but not going to last forever either. I asked Otto if he makes steel picks, and he does. Hardened steel even, if you want that, and apparently prices are basically the same as Ti picks. I play with steel strings (NYXL), not nickel, for what it's worth.

Nice! Yeah I thought getting a wood one too was a nice bonus. Mine's arctic birch.
View attachment 304086

How's the titanium one holding up? I've been thrashing mine and getting more wear than I hoped for. Still better than my plastic ones I think, but not going to last forever either. I asked Otto if he makes steel picks, and he does. Hardened steel even, if you want that, and apparently prices are basically the same as Ti picks. I play with steel strings (NYXL), not nickel, for what it's worth.
Completely missed this post, somehow. No wear on the pick, but only nickel strings, and honestly, i have been playing more with my vitriol pick than anything else.

I'd probably lose them in a couple weeks,
I dunno... I've found that money spent on an item is roughly inversely proportional to how likely you are to lose it. I'm much more aware of where expensive items like my fountain pen are and where I'm putting them since it's framed against the mental backdrop of "I won't be able to buy another anytime soon."

Back