New Tweaker owner question.

Jonymacmadcap

About three weeks ago(?), I had a short, but profitable bout of horse trading that delivered both an Egnater Tweaker 15H, and an old Tech21 combo cab with the chassis removed as a speaker cab for the Tweaker.

I'm speechless at the tone(s) that the combination of the two deliver!

While the AC/US/Brit switch is fun, and really makes for fun knob twiddling, what I really love is how these are "Egnater versions" of these tones.

Exceptional platform for pedals, and is seriously fun both loud, and backed off.

I have some JJ preamp tubes coming (5751) and am currently auditioning some Reflektor power tubes (6p6s & 6p3s).
I liked the Ruby power tubes that came with it(6v6), but absolutely had to roll some octels through this to get a feel for what more I can do to dial in the TONEZ!!!

I know Bruce started out by saying any octels will work if they fit in the amp, and I know he has since backed off that initial selling point, (anyone able to point me to that actual post?)and has mentioned just defaulting to the 6v6 original equipment valves.

I wonder if anyone is still using either of the two eastern European valve versions I mentioned above?
(6p6s & 6p3s)

Is anyone still running/happy running 6L6 valves as their go-to power valves?

Is it typical to have increased heat coming off the vent plate of the head with these? Is this another situation where a mild bump in heat is to be expected and is not damaging my new-to-me baby?

I have/had both the V32 Palomino, and its twin brother the V30. Traded the Palomino for the Tweaker and a couple of dirt pedals, kept the V30. Both of the combos run super warm, so I'm used to hot amps.

When I got the Crate combos, I was aware that they ran hot, and that was by design. Some folks attributing some of the V30/V32's mojo to the hotter biasing.

Can anyone tell me if I'm still OK using the 6p6s & 6p3s variants?

I have read sooooo many threads on this amp, and most threads, on most forums, seem to stop around 2016-2019 or so. I wanted to dip in here and chat a bit with some OG Tweakers who have had the head for a while to get a little clearer picture of the best practices for this little beast. Now that all the weak links for this monster have been identified and sorted by the community.

A "Care and Feeding" primer, if you will.

Hoping for tube gurus to chime in, but any experiences, tips, and tricks would be most appreciated!!!

6p6s is Russian equivalent of 6V6GT. 6p3s is similar to 6L6GC. Should be fine with either. I finally settled for 5881's (6P3S-E in Russian tubes).

Heat coming off the vent plate... I took mine off and put in a pair of KT66's for about six months. I don't recommend that, but I didn't have any issues. If you haven't bought tubes yet, try a pair of 5881's.

6p6s is Russian equivalent of 6V6GT. 6p3s is similar to 6L6GC. Should be fine with either. I finally settled for 5881's (6P3S-E in Russian tubes).

Heat coming off the vent plate... I took mine off and put in a pair of KT66's for about six months. I don't recommend that, but I didn't have any issues. If you haven't bought tubes yet, try a pair of 5881's.
Ben,
Thanks so much for your response. Very helpful and reassuring. I did already get some 6p3s for my Tweaker and im just tickled with the tones coming from this little beast.

As an aside, your sig quote is perfect. George had it all figured out...wish he were still around.

Have fun. If you happen to have another amp, the Egnater is fun to use as an A&B, as far as mixing the tones of two amps together.

Back