New Wizard Cab Day (x2)

(I posted this in the main forum too.)

Just got these from Rick and Vintage King Audio (US Wizard Dealer - www.vintageking.com).

First about the cabs. I've had Bogner cabs for a long time. 4x12s, OS 2x12s and cubes. I think they are great cabs so please don't flame me for using them as a reference. But here is what I like about the Wizard cabs.

A. Recessed, recessed hardware. Note in the pictures that all the hardware is below the surface of the cabinet. Even the screw heads and 1/4 inch jacks are all below the plane of the cabinet surface. Nothing to get hooked on or to scratch other things.

B. They all come with series/parallel jacks. I had to order this special from Bogner. This makes it easy to run two cabs from one output on an amp.

C. I didn't take pictures of the inside but there is nothing covering the speaker on these cabs. The Bogner 1x12 cube's speaker cutout was actually 2 half moon cut outs so there was some wood going across the speaker to mount the logo to. Kind of like a beam blocker. Not so with the Wizard and you can see the small logo is at the top, out of the way of the throw of the speaker.

D. These cabs are what Wizard calls convertible so it can be open or closed back. Note the pull tabs so you can easily get the center section out without having to stick a screwdriver in the side and pry it out.

E. Another thing I like about these cabs is they are a little bit bigger than the cube, and they are not front ported. To me, the port directed some sound (low end) out the front of the Bogner cab so it sounded good in the room but I could not capture this when I miced it as I didn't mic both the speaker and the port.

Secondly, Vintage King was a real pleasure to work with. Plus, being a US dealer, I didn't have to worry about the duties and all that. These were custom orders and Vintage King had them drop shipped from Wizard and they took care of everything.

Thirdly, they look (check out that piping!) and sound great. They don't sound like a 4x12 but they sound a lot bigger than 1/4 of a 4x12 and better than the cube to my ears.

Once again, the Bogners are great cabs but TO ME, this is my new standard. A little bit more expensive than some other cabinets but I think it's worth it.

Wiz1x12-1.jpg

Wiz1x12-2.jpg

Wiz1x12-3.jpg

Wiz1x12-4.jpg

Thanks for sharing in my new cab day!

Very nice work. Wizard is always the highest quality of craftsmanship.

What speakers you got in them?

And congrats on a NWDCD!

Back