OT: server virtualization

>|<>QBB<
Shiny_Surface":7bda9 said:
Thanks for the Linux links King Crimson and Shreadhead666 I appreciate it alot man! 8)

No prob! Knock yourself out man. I think once you get started you'll be smacking your forehead thinking "WTF doesn't Microsoft do this??" but you'll probably also find things about MS stuff that you'll wish Linux did as well.

Hey guys this is sort of a follow up.

I've just finished testing converting several different physical machines to virtual machines using VMWare's Converter program. It's still in Beta at the moment so you can get it for free. It seems to work very well, and is supposedly their replacement for P2V. I can host the .exe if anyone would like to test it out.

Or you can download it after filling out a BS registration form (give 'em fake info) at this address - http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/converter/

Let me know how things pan out for you guys.

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":a6fa9 said:
Hey guys this is sort of a follow up.

I've just finished testing converting several different physical machines to virtual machines using VMWare's Converter program. It's still in Beta at the moment so you can get it for free. It seems to work very well, and is supposedly their replacement for P2V. I can host the .exe if anyone would like to test it out.

Or you can download it after filling out a BS registration form (give 'em fake info) at this address - http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/converter/

Let me know how things pan out for you guys.

Hey Shred,

I've actually been tinkering with it for a while. Although it will not be out into production for a while, it's definitely easier to use than P2V.

For instance, I like the fact that you don’t have to be at the physical machine to transform it to a VM, you can do it remotely. + you can schedule it to run on one or several physical machines during off-production hours. And several other minor features that make it less cumbersome to implement.

We’ll definitely be upgrading our current P2V license once it goes live.

>|<>QBB<
King Crimson":2b62d said:
>|<>QBB<

Hey Shred,

I've actually been tinkering with it for a while. Although it will not be out into production for a while, it's definitely easier to use than P2V.

For instance, I like the fact that you don’t have to be at the physical machine to transform it to a VM, you can do it remotely. + you can schedule it to run on one or several physical machines during off-production hours. And several other minor features that make it less cumbersome to implement.

We’ll definitely be upgrading our current P2V license once it goes live.

I definitely found it quite refreshing after fumbling around w/ the P2V boot CDs and it NOT detecting the network card (even though supposedly it was supported???). The new Converter program has created several nice .VDMX images to work with from our production machines.

Color me impressed! 8)

>|<>QBB<
shredhead666":a5ae9 said:
>|<>QBB<

I definitely found it quite refreshing after fumbling around w/ the P2V boot CDs and it NOT detecting the network card (even though supposedly it was supported???).

Yep - this does happen mostly on legacy servers. It's not a show stopper though there are some tricks to getting it to detect correctly.

Anyone looking into P2V though I would suggest holding off and waiting for the full production version of VMware Converter 3.0.

Back