Plugging in a extension cord rated for 220V into a 110V step down transformer: Safe?

nightlight

Hey, just wondering whether I can plug in a 220V extension cord (it doesn't have a rating, just making an assumption) I have into a 110V step-down transformer. Is it safe? Or do I have to get a 110V extension cord/board?

Thanks for the response, man. I tried this, but after some time playing, I smelt something frying and quickly unplugged everything.

I think the problem was that with the 220V extension board, it draws less current, which led to my devices being underpowered.

If anyone else has this issue, I'd suggest that it is better to get a 110V extension board in this kind of situation, given that amplifiers are high voltage and current instruments.

Thanks for the response, man. I tried this, but after some time playing, I smelt something frying and quickly unplugged everything.

I think the problem was that with the 220V extension board, it draws less current, which led to my devices being underpowered.

If anyone else has this issue, I'd suggest that it is better to get a 110V extension board in this kind of situation, given that amplifiers are high voltage and current instruments.
Maybe so. Shouldn't be an issue though. Google it to be sure :yes:

Maybe so. Shouldn't be an issue though. Google it to be sure :yes:

That’s what i did. I had a 15 amp extension board that I connected to it. From what I gather, the thicker cable halves the current even though the voltage is safe. So in the case of the amps, they were probably asking for more juice where there wasn’t any.

That’s what i did. I had a 15 amp extension board that I connected to it. From what I gather, the thicker cable halves the current even though the voltage is safe. So in the case of the amps, they were probably asking for more juice where there wasn’t any.
It may have just been frying the insulation in the cord itself, hence the smell. Iirc when you use a Power adaptor/wall wart not rated for enough amperage for the device, the device in it’s demands will overheat/fry the adapter.

Found this on a search..
When 220v wiring is used, less current is required than with 110v wiring. Power is measured in watts. Thus, to achieve 900 watts of power, 4.1 amps would be required with 220v wiring, whereas approximately 8.2 amps would be required with 110v wiring.

It may have just been frying the insulation in the cord itself, hence the smell. Iirc when you use a Power adaptor/wall wart not rated for enough amperage for the device, the device in it’s demands will overheat/fry the adapter.

Found this on a search..
When 220v wiring is used, less current is required than with 110v wiring. Power is measured in watts. Thus, to achieve 900 watts of power, 4.1 amps would be required with 220v wiring, whereas approximately 8.2 amps would be required with 110v wiring.

Yeah, must have been that, glad I unplugged everything when I did.

Back