Poll: What's your favorite Neck pickup type? (hum, split hum, single coil, etc)

What's your ideal neck pickup type?

• Humbucker

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Humbucker - Split

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Humbucker - Parallel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P90

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Single Coil

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Single Coil - Stacked Noiseless

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Years ago I bought a cheap Dean DFH some idiot halfway destroyed trying to swap out the trem posts for OFR posts. I rebuilt it with a ofr and a 90's L500xl, but I didn't have a neck pickup. So I threw in a stock import Dean bridge pickup , accidentally leaving the poles on bottom like a bridge pickup. Still my best neck pickup tone to this day. Sounds a lot like a single with more output.

I like both neck singles and humbuckers, depending on guitar and what I'm going for at the moment. My most used guitars are dual humbucker super strats, so I guess that should be my poll choice. Duncan has a '59 and Jazz both designed for the neck that have plenty of clarity for the neck humbucker. I've also had good luck with the traditional voiced Anderson humbuckers in the neck.

I generally take out the tone control, and rewire my guitars with separate volumes. Then I can leave both pickups preset and just flip between them for distortion (bridge) vs. pseudo clean (neck) live. (I'll also use the turn the ole' SD-1 on/off at the same time, as necessary.)

Back