Talkin' Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Blues-Rock

My friends think it is shit. I just don't know how to tell them the counting crows and goo goo dolls dont have shit on freddie
Honestly your friends sound like women because that is the kind of crap a woman would say. Who else do they like, new kids on the block? Damn...

Makes me want to buy a 335 and go full retard
335-345-355 and a Twin reverb will take you there. Especially a Twin with JBL's. A Les Paul with some medium or low output pickups would be an adequate sub. Just dime the treble and the volume on the vibrato channel and you're almost there. All you need then is the Freddie King licks. His voice though, that's another smoking part of the package.

Honestly your friends sound like women because that is the kind of crap a woman would say. Who else do they like, new kids on the block? Damn...

335-345-355 and a Twin reverb will take you there. Especially a Twin with JBL's. A Les Paul with some medium or low output pickups would be an adequate sub. Just dime the treble and the volume on the vibrato channel and you're almost there. All you need then is the Freddie King licks. His voice though, that's another smoking part of the package.

I have a LOOONG way to go to play like that guy. Fucking legend.

And yes calling my friends women is apt. They are soft as fuck. I listen to mostly death metal, but i grew up being a blues lover. Honestly, i wouldnt even probably be into metal if blues was still a thing. I was born in the wrong time

I have a LOOONG way to go to play like that guy. Fucking legend.
Well he's from a family of blues players and is a relative of Lightnin' Hopkins so it's in the blood. It's gonna be tough matching a guy who was playing blues wiith the family starting at four or five years old. Never too late to start though.

And yes calling my friends women is apt. They are soft as fuck. I listen to mostly death metal, but i grew up being a blues lover. Honestly, i wouldnt even probably be into metal if blues was still a thing. I was born in the wrong time
I liked metal as a kid and wanted to play it but a bunch of events happened all around the same time that lead me down that blues pathway.

You aren't the only metal guy I know of whose other love is blues. I've met a couple and they were damn good metal players. Heck I was kicking around the web the other day and noticed even Rob Halford is working on a blues record. Probably won't be Freddie King level (who is, lol) but I think it might open a few ears that would otherwise be closed to it so I hope he has good luck with it. He's definitely done the listening. Here's the article.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/rob-halford-says-all-the-music-is-ready-for-his-debut-blues-solo-album

I love this stuff!
Fantastic thread!

Question:
Did Eric Gales ever play/tour with Buddy Guy?

I saw Buddy Guy years back in Rochester, NY and he had a guitar player with him that did quite a lot of the soloing.
I swear it was Eric Gales?

One of the best blues ever written. Not your standard 12 bar tune. I've never heard a blues tune with these chord progressions.

Their performance here is sublime. Studio version.

The older I get the more appreciation I have for LZ…the stuff that they were writing back then is mind boggling…to me anyways.

Also, in the tune you linked…is there a small squeaky type noise in the opening of the song? Reminds me of my brothers old pearl set,,,the high hat and kick pedals both had a distinct squeaky noise. 😂

I love this stuff!
Fantastic thread!

Question:
Did Eric Gales ever play/tour with Buddy Guy?

I saw Buddy Guy years back in Rochester, NY and he had a guitar player with him that did quite a lot of the soloing.
I swear it was Eric Gales?
Buddy has had a lot of younger guitarists as sidemen but outside of maybe a night of blues I do not think Eric has ever toured with him regularly or anything but it is possible. Scott Holt toured for him for q few years in the late 90's. He had Quinn Sullivan around for quite a few years. I know Albert King did the same thing with Eri'c's older brother, Manuel aka "Little Jimmy KIng". When Albert died his band started backing Manuel. Glad you are enjoying the thread DC!

The older I get the more appreciation I have for LZ…the stuff that they were writing back then is mind boggling…to me anyways.

Also, in the tune you linked…is there a small squeaky type noise in the opening of the song? Reminds me of my brothers old pearl set,,,the high hat and kick pedals both had a distinct squeaky noise. 😂

Yep. John Bonham's Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal was squeaking on that track. Everyone tells me it's there. I don't hear it and I'm glad because then I'd never UNhear it! LOL

Back