Top 3 amps you have played

My MgL Red is my favorite amp I have ever owned. It is tight as fuck without a boost and has TONS of clarity. I have owned it for almost a year and I feel so lucky to have it.

I played a VHT Ultralead and it had THE sound. I would love to a/b it with my MGL, but it could easily be a forever amp.

Wizard MTL KT150 Played this thing and have never felt more like a God. The punch is insane.

Ironically, two of the three amps were courtesy of @RedB4Black and I need to make it back down to see if his current lineup can top the last, lol

Ironically, 2 of those are on my list too!

Actually these days I’d probably go with in no particular order

MTL MK2 KT150
MTL MK2 e34L 50w FT
Bogner Uber Ultra

UL would be in at #4

I would like to try that MGL. There’s been a few pop up in the classifieds recently that I’ve been tempted by.

Ironically, 2 of those are on my list too!

Actually these days I’d probably go with in no particular order

MTL MK2 KT150
MTL MK2 e34L 50w FT
Bogner Uber Ultra

UL would be in at #4

I would like to try that MGL. There’s been a few pop up in the classifieds recently that I’ve been tempted by.
I heard clips of the mgl hg and it sounds bad ass. I dont know how different it is from mine, but i would love to try it. I flirt with buying it also. I also would love to try the 100 watt version which wasnt available when i got mine.

I heard clips of the mgl hg and it sounds bad ass. I dont know how different it is from mine, but i would love to try it. I flirt with buying it also. I also would love to try the 100 watt version which wasnt available when i got mine.
The 100 Watter is killer. Some sort of cross between wizard and Friedman to my ear. Distinctly marshall overall though. And the feel was just right for my taste. Mark doesn’t play around.

My list would be
Wizard Hell Razor KT150
Hermansson Rev F Triple Rectifier
and 3 would be a tie between MI Megalith Beta and Gower Killer Kali- to be honest nothing Ive played has come close to any of those

Amps I haven't played that I'd imagine would have a chance of being in that tier for me would be

Rev C Recto
Larry 962/PMM
Mk2c+/++
Hermansson 5GS

I think there are plenty of insanely good amps out there that I haven't played, but for an amp to be in this tier I basically don't want anything changed about the amp- an example of an amp in the next tier would be the Wizard MCII Mk2 KT150 I used to own which was amazing, but I wished it had more gain and aggression on top- something the Hell Razor does (plus way more gain staging options)-so basically that top tier is amps that do a certain sound better than anything else.

Obviously this involves personal taste- as an example I'm not a Soldano person but I would get if people want to rank stuff like that in the top tier. Long story short, people should find amps that do the sound in their head better than anything else

Coming off a wizard, it was hard to get used to the darker voicing and the lack of insane punch. However, the amp is way more balanced in voicing and the wizard was very angry and shrill, lol.
I love the gain character and that is one of the most important things to me. It is what i liked so much about the ultralead. Just perfect sounding amps.

Not sure if that's the same 50w HG that was up for sale a few weeks ago. If it is, inflation is worse than I thought! lol. I'd like to try that one.

1978 Marshall Mark II master lead 50 watt
Mesa Mark IV B
Splawn SuperSport El-34 50 watt
the Marshall I gigged back in in early 80's and sold when I went back to college. That was overall my favorite amp I've ever owned

Marshall JTM45 Studio (better than the original, I have both!)

Fender Deville 4x10 because it's fuller sounding than a double full stack

Positive Grid Spark Go - it can do things you wouldn't dream

1972 Marshall 100T -still have. Raw, unapologetic monster straight in, or boosted.
1983 Mark 2C SRG-my first C+, as a C it was unreal sounding...raw, angry and aggressive..made it into a + of course, but it lost some of what it had. I had to + it....and it was great as a C+ but before, OMG.
1982 2204-had a 'mystery mod' for just a touch more gain than stock, paid 799 for it from a GC in Cali. Just a beast and was the best of all the MV Marshalls I've owned, which is a high number lol.

74 100 watt Marshall canadian superlead with laydown transformers
Friedman Be/hbe modded by friedman off 90s 1959 RI
82 20th anniv 2204 jcm800 all Mullard loaded

It's basically a simple one channel amplifier but it goes from clean to mean with your volume knob very raw!
The perfect amp for many. No nonsense for the one trick pony like me.

I do however like many options at the same time to suit the room or guitar or whatever. The problem with that for me is I find myself turning knobs and saying kewl bruh more than playing my guitar. The upside: really dialing it in exactly how I like it.

Back