Tremoverb making terrible hum and weird tone - somehow related to reverb

mesa4x12er

Hey fellas, just got my hands on a Mesa Tremoverb for the first time and something is wrong with it. Seller says it was fine when it left him but upon turning it on the first time the sound was super brash and hollow. Then I found as I turned up the reverb there was no reverb but a ridiculous hum would start and I'd start to hear what I can only describe as a DI sounding clean coming through along with the gain. Like the distorted brashness is there but as I turn up the reverb the DI sounding guitar blended in becomes louder. The amp also has a decent level of volume even with the volume at 0.

Done a bit of reading and seen lots of various issues but this one has me a bit stumped. Replaced the v1 and v5 preamp tubes with no change. Completely unplugged the reverb tank with no change. Happens on both the Orange and Red channels. I'm about to do a full retube but I've never seen such weirdness even with bad tubes. Anyone seen or heard similar?

So I replaced all of the tubes and didn't change the issue. Still no reverb and still sounds crappy with what sounds like a DI clean signal also coming through as I turn up that knob. I hear it whether the the reverb tank is plugged in or not. :/

He may have been mistaken that it was fine when he sent it to you. If you got a good deal on it maybe look into repairing it but if you paid top dollar and could return it, I absolutely would do that.

Back