Trying to mimic air with two notes WOS III

heythere

With tons of experimenting with tones, amps, guitars, the one ingredient that seems to be the hardest to achieve to mimic is the sound of air...or the natural sound of a room.

I've experimented a lot with different plugins such as valhalla room, altiverb, ocean way studios, and am still having a hard time getting a very convincing natural tone that feels like it sits in a room. I'm very curious if anybody here has been able to achieve such success here, especially in the context of a professional mix.

I understand the WOS III is supposed to have a reverb addition added in the next few week...but wondering in the meantime what other people do to get this result.

Use a short room tone with Altiverb, one of the famous studio IR's will work well, use to taste (shorter with close mic(s), longer with distant mic(s) etc.

Works great, and any decent room sim will work.

Use stereo if you like too.

With a Studio try blending a close mic and distant mic with a distant mic amount of room sim.

Note that this is a subtle amount of air, and any delay and reverb should be in addition to it etc.

Not sure what you're doing wrong?

Hmm...just feels a bit artificial the way I've been trying to do it. If you could give specifics, that would help a lot. I will try it for sure!

djd100":2luetbbx said:
Use a short room tone with Altiverb, one of the famous studio IR's will work well, use to taste (shorter with close mic(s), longer with distant mic(s) etc.

With a Studio try blending a close mic and distant mic with a distant mic amount of room sim.

Note that this is a subtle amount of air, and any delay and reverb should be in addition to it etc.

It's completely subjective and the specifics are above?

If you haven't already, mic a real cab in a decent room and and have someone move the mic(s) around while you're listening, and that will help you learn what real rooms sound like with regards to off-axis guitar cab mics etc. After that just duplicate it with the room sim.

Good luck...

heythere":1kcaufye said:
Hmm...just feels a bit artificial the way I've been trying to do it. If you could give specifics, that would help a lot. I will try it for sure!

djd100":1kcaufye said:

Hi heythere,

you could also try the #2 capture we've made at Le Mirador (Britgreen2, Silver10 2, CalifRecto 2).

We justly make it to give roomies options.
You can try it freely in La Boutique (you will just have random silences during the test).

For #2 captures we have did tests.
We have choose to use small condensers mics (omni and cardio patterns) in our main room.
As we record a grand piano or a choral for example.

It result a very natural sound.
The distance and the patterns are usefull to tweak your sound. More or less focused.

In the WOS, you can easily mix this #2 captures with more traditionnal technique.
For example you can mix the capture of the U47 near the BritGreen (classic sound) with the capture of the Shoeps cmc5 far and off axis the BitGreen#2 (roomy sound).
You have also to experiment with pano to find a good stereo image giving you a good sensation of room.

Hope it will help you...
Our idea was to provide roomies captures instead of apply artificial effects.
Many sound enginners and producers do like this in real life... :)

One thing that really works is to add a panning plug in that uses delay (haas effect) ( https://goodhertz.co/panpot for example). The result will not be mono compatible in many cases but in today's playback universe, this is hardly a reason for concern especially if applied as an enhancement.

sysexguy":mbvly5xr said:
One thing that really works is to add a panning plug in that uses delay (haas effect) ( https://goodhertz.co/panpot for example). The result will not be mono compatible in many cases but in today's playback universe, this is hardly a reason for concern especially if applied as an enhancement.

Interesting...could i apply this as an insert plugin to a mono track? And if I sent this track out a basic wav file, would it still work efficiently?

There are free haas effect plugins or you can try to make the effect yourself using sample offset sample delays on L and R combined with volume based panning. The trick is to tune the delay an the panning so they come into a focus and the source location is clearly evident in the stereo field.

Sylvain Briat":3i42wd35 said:
Hope it will help you...
Our idea was to provide roomies captures instead of apply artificial effects.
Many sound enginners and producers do like this in real life... :)
Yeah but the IRs in WOS III are cut to a quite short length..not sure if this can remove the need to use a reverb.

Back