Using multiple amps at once?

Me

Hi folks! This is kinda a general question that would maybe better off in the main forum, but 2 of my 3 (main) amps are Diezels, so I thought I'd ask here, at least first...

I know some of you folks have more than 1 amp. Do you use them for recording different parts (e.g. multi-tracking), or do you use them at the same time via a splitter (multi-amping)? I was just re-organising bits of my home studio and was pondering if there's much point in me being able to record 2 amps at once, i.e. multi-layering them, rather than recording separate takes using separate amps.

Will I gain anything by recording layered amps as a single take, or is it worth just using different amps for different takes. Obvs if you then pan them around the left and right amps may sound blatantly different, so the same amps used together and then double-tracked say, may sound better? Dunno, what do you folks do when you record? Or do you just use 1 amp for one song (or 1 part), and only change amps for other songs (or different parts)?

I know some of you own a Hagen, a Herbert and a Bogner XTC at least, so does mixing them add any magic to a recording? Obvs using lots of amps at once in a room can sound epic, but sometimes what's great in a room just makes a recording muddy...

P.S. I can't always be that loud so dual amp recording would be likely to be more IR cabs most of the time, hence me not just micing lots up and experimenting and making a big phasey mess! :p

When I tracked guitars in studio we would use multiple amps layered, or overdubbed. So basically choose two, or three that have nice but different characteristics, i.e. maybe one has nice low, or low mids, while the other has better upper mids, etc...

Then overdub your guitar tracks with each amp. If you do it right it'll sound huge.

Also you'll need to correct phase issues, as each amp may have different number of gain stages, and the phase usually flips after each stage.

Do you mean you record a new take of the same part with a new amp, i.e. just layering multiple takes using different amps one-at-a-time (only need to record 1 amp at a time)? Or do you use a signal splitter and play the same single part into multiple amps at once, like Adam Jones can be recording 3 or more amps *simultaneously* in the studio for his tone, or That Pedal Show often use 2 amps simultaneously to get a bigger tone on their YT channel (i.e. identical input signal to all amps, not subtly different takes into each amp)?

Obvs the second of these 2 options can then be multi-layered again by using all 2 or more amps on a 2nd or 3rd layered take...

Completely separate takes (performances) for each amp is the way to go in my opinion. Having the natural slight differences in your pick attack and timing that comes from doing separate takes adds to the "bigness" of the sound

Do you mean you record a new take of the same part with a new amp, i.e. just layering multiple takes using different amps one-at-a-time (only need to record 1 amp at a time)? Or do you use a signal splitter and play the same single part into multiple amps at once, like Adam Jones can be recording 3 or more amps *simultaneously* in the studio for his tone, or That Pedal Show often use 2 amps simultaneously to get a bigger tone on their YT channel (i.e. identical input signal to all amps, not subtly different takes into each amp)?

Obvs the second of these 2 options can then be multi-layered again by using all 2 or more amps on a 2nd or 3rd layered take...

All those ways are good.

I've done it both ways. Use different amps (one-at-a-time) to lay down two, or more tracks of the same part.

And use multiple amps at the same time to one track.

Completely separate takes (performances) for each amp is the way to go in my opinion. Having the natural slight differences in your pick attack and timing that comes from doing separate takes adds to the "bigness" of the sound
Yes I agree, that adds a nice spatial depth to the sound.

That's what I normally do, but often only with only one of the amps. By default to create the space I then tend to pan them L/R. If the amp tones are much different it can sound a bit lopsided if say the treblier/bitey one is left and the punchier/meatier one right, unless I do 2 runs of each amp.

So how many takes would you do on each amp and how would you pan them normally? Then I guess the obvs question: how many guitarists in your band (and other takes do you have and how do you pan them as well if not the only guitarist)?

Saves me buggering about + more recording gear money only recording one amp at once, so I'm happy with that if most folks just always go 1 amp at a time!

I mean it kind of all depends on tastes and the style of music being played, but if I was deadset on using two different amps to record with I'd do two takes on amp 1, panned hard left and right, then two takes on amp 2 panned hard left and right. Or more likely I'd do just one track on amp 2 dead center, with the level decreased a bit.

I generally prefer a maximum of 2 rhythm guitar tracks though - one panned hard left and one right. One amp.

Look into the radial stuff for running multiple amps at once. The JD7 works great for me. Phase and ground lift are essential.

I've found blending similar amps not that useful, those that differ seem to be more interesting. My VH4 with a Plexi for example sounds great, ala Adam Jones. The VH4 with a Herbert doesn't seem to work that well, you end up with a less distinct sound with no personality.

Hi folks! This is kinda a general question that would maybe better off in the main forum, but 2 of my 3 (main) amps are Diezels, so I thought I'd ask here, at least first...

I know some of you folks have more than 1 amp. Do you use them for recording different parts (e.g. multi-tracking), or do you use them at the same time via a splitter (multi-amping)? I was just re-organising bits of my home studio and was pondering if there's much point in me being able to record 2 amps at once, i.e. multi-layering them, rather than recording separate takes using separate amps.

Will I gain anything by recording layered amps as a single take, or is it worth just using different amps for different takes. Obvs if you then pan them around the left and right amps may sound blatantly different, so the same amps used together and then double-tracked say, may sound better? Dunno, what do you folks do when you record? Or do you just use 1 amp for one song (or 1 part), and only change amps for other songs (or different parts)?

I know some of you own a Hagen, a Herbert and a Bogner XTC at least, so does mixing them add any magic to a recording? Obvs using lots of amps at once in a room can sound epic, but sometimes what's great in a room just makes a recording muddy...

P.S. I can't always be that loud so dual amp recording would be likely to be more IR cabs most of the time, hence me not just micing lots up and experimenting and making a big phasey mess! :p

I’m actually doing a lot of experimenting with this right now. Granted, I’m using an AxeFX, the principal still applies the same.

TL;DR- If you know the amps are going to blend well and will work together, then absolutely do it.

I was REALLY stoked about being able to run two amps at once with the AxeFX and had it in my head that I was going to start sticking my favorite amps together and BAM, instant awesome! That’s not how it ended up working. I had to spend a lot of time dialing in each amp independently of each other and then together. I’m still not totally satisfied and end up going back to single amps-per track. I have a rule about not letting tweaking get in the way of progress, so unless I’m setting aside time to tweak, I won’t allow myself to do it.

It’s almost like it’s just too much of everything. Selecting the right cabs is a big part of it. I’ve found using the same kind of cabs on each head, one amp would sound great and the other would be weak and using different cabs there’d be too many frequencies fighting for space. I’ll figure it out eventually. It’s also hard not to strive for perfection when you have that many options in your hands with the AxeFX.

Definitely give it a shot, it’s fun as hell to dick around with stuff like that. And it won’t hurt if you have all your heads ready to go at all times so when you’re tracking and you think, “Shit, the XTC would be PERFECT for this!”, you’re not wasting inspired time on setup time. That was my one goal of 2020, to get everything in my studio set up and ready to be used by turning it on or plugging in one cable. I’ve lost so much time to fucking with equipment.

Back