Voodoo Mod Dual Rectifier 3ch

sinestro

Just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice on this. I have a Mesa Dual Rectifier that has already had the Standard mod done, probably six years ago at least. I haven't played it much in the last couple of years as I've preferred my VHT Deliverance.

I've been trying to like the Mesa again, and am thinking about some tube swaps. Any suggestions for a fuller clean channel and less gain on two and three? Maybe even EL34's. I believe it has the adjustable bias installed that you're not supposed to use the switch for anymore.

Any ideas appreciated.

I would recommend the following;

Preamp
Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH - V1 Position
Sovtek 12AX7WA (balanced/matched) - Phase Inverter Position
ARS 12AX7A - Remaining position

Power Tubes
Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's or SED 6L6's (more lows and thicker sounding, also most costly) biased at 60%

If you have any questions please feel free to call 607-256-0465.

All the best! :)
Trace

Trace-

Thanks for the reply. Was hoping I didn't have to bug you on the phone about a mod I bought years ago, thanks for responding though :thumbsup:

I have all Ruby 12AX7A's in the preamp now, and the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's in the power section. Pretty sure I can scrape up the different preamp tubes this weekend. I'll double check that the bias hasn't drifted lately too.

Only reason I was thinking EL34's was I have a metro plexi that I dig, and the VHT has KT88's.

Maybe I'll give you a shout on Monday if I don't like what I'm hearing.

Did some preamp tube swapping and noticed some difference, but not the change that I was looking for. Do you install adjustable bias on all of the Standard mods for Mesa? I can't seem to find the trim pot, is it hiding under one of the boards? Thinking I'll try some EL34's in it before I move on.

The amp still blows away any Dual Rectifier I've ever played, I'm just thinking that maybe I'm not a Mesa guy anymore.

Back