whats your favorite song to jam to drunk??

i can't remember what shred guy back in the late 90's said he loved hanson, and that they reminded him of himself when he was a teenager. might have been vai or lynch or paul gilbert. either way, if you think about it, for as corny as they were, they were light years ahead of whats teeny boppers listen to now, in terms of song writing and musicianship. These kids kinda shot themselves in the foot with the whole squeeky clean image, but they could probably still pack em in on the nostolgia circuit.

i've been sober for almost 2 years (bummer flex, i know....sorry haha), but back in my drinking days, nothing got me picking fast and furious like Slayers Show No Mercy album. i used to love tying on a good buzz, and doing a "speed run" through that album.

Also jamming along to old George Clinton / Parlament / Funkadelic shit is always a lot of fun when on a substance. If you listen to all of the 70's and 80's classic hits from this crazy bunch of fun loving and talented drug addicts, you'll notice that they often leave a solid minute or two in those songs where its just the rhythm section and no vocals or leads. i'm convinced that they did that on purpose so you can solo along yourself at home and feel like you're part of the band :D

Another drunken favorite, was Cornelis Vreeswijk. You scandinavians may know who he is. he was like a Dutch mix of Johnny Cash and bob dylan but with his own unique style and drunken troubador charm. I never knew wtf he was singing, but you can hear the emotions in his voice and delivery. i've seen some translations and they're always dark, sometimes humorous, but always thought provoking. I discovered him by accident in the napster days, while searching for nordic folk metal. he became one of my biggest musical influences, and a weird obsession. Imagine an english speaking person, after a few drinking, attempting to sing swedish and dutch lyrics....yeah that was me for years by myself.

I have a cassette of bavarian/german drinking songs and yodeling folk songs that my grandpa used to listen to, that i was all about when i'd get into my sedimental drunk state. I think thats where i got my euro ass sense of melody, that gravitated me more towards MSG, Yngwie, and Accept over Motely Crue, Quiet Riot, and Ratt back when i was young, and made me hate NU-Metal, but love In Flames and Children of Bodom in the late 90's. who knows. drinking makes you think weird shit lol.

Last edited:
That Phil X/Peter Cetera live version of 25 or 6 to 4 has been fun lately. Just play it EVH style with fills all over and noodle away on the solos.

Back