Wizards without chokes...

Jack71

So, a while back I had a Wizard Vintage Classic that did not have a choke. Sounded fantastic. I just recently noticed that my Metal does not have a choke either. What's up with that? Anyone have any idea why Rick would leave out the Choke on certain amps?

good one, I am unsure, I will forward this question to rick. I did not know this...

I am gonna check a metal tonight and see what its got in it.
Josh

Amps don't have to have a choke. A choke is a big, single wound resistor that essentially cleans up any excess AC left unconverted by the transformer and helps cut down on noise. On the Wizards, they are mostly unfiltered and may have needed a choke to clean things up. Its all in the design I would imagine. Maybe one of the amp builders would pop in and comment on the decision for using one.

Steve

Did you look inside?

Some amps have the choke inside.

I would be surprised if he'd build a 5,000$ amp and save 20$ on the choke.

hunter":3iy2z3bs said:
Did you look inside?

Some amps have the choke inside.

I would be surprised if he'd build a 5,000$ amp and save 20$ on the choke.

I actually just had a chat with Rick via e-mail and apparently my Vintage Classic did have a choke. All Vintage Classics do. It must have just been on the inside of the amp. He said the only amps that did not have chokes were the 1st and 2nd generation Metals. That would explain my Metal, I guess. Unless that one has one one the inside that I didn't see.

Back