Diezel Einstein Tubes?

TC_G1

I have a Diezel Einstein 50 Watt Head, and it sounds like the power tubes need to be changed, but I'm not sure what kind of tubes they are, they have no writing on them. Can anyone help guide me in the right direction? Also, will I need to rebias when only changing the power tubes?

Stock the Einstein used to come with SED Winged =C= EL34's I believe I read an update that all amps now are being shipped with SED Winged =C= 6550's as they are a bit more study and reliable. Yes you should rebias whenever you change your tubes.

That's right! Before the 6550 Peter used the SEDs EL34 winged c.

6550 give a bit more headroom, are a bit more powerful and open (they should be more reliable).
But it is a difference to the el34. A matter of taste.

Thanks for the help. I'm new at this so please bare with me...
I always thought that as long as you're only replacing the power tubes, with the same tubes, biasing in not needed.
Am I wrong? How difficult is biasing an amp for a layman like me??

You can only replace the tube without biasing when you have a set of the same type tube that is ALSO rated the same from the same supplier (i.e. Groove Tubes rating 5 can be replaced with a rating 5 without biasing) otherwise you HAVE to bias if you want to keep it sounding the same or avoid problems.

Later on dude,

Nick

Just so you know, Einstein is one of those amps that is really easy to bias yourself. All you need is a screwdriver and a digital multimeter.

Mine came with Ruby EL34BSTRs, which I think are Chinese (Shugyang) made tubes?

And if you do not know what you are doing you can mess things up and or hurt yourself. You are welcome to send the amp in and we can take care of everything and ensure the work is done properly and go over everything if you like. If so, PM me and we can further discuss. :thumbsup:

What is the recommended power tubes for this Einstein amp nowadays? I myself prefer JJ E34L's, is that possible? In a 100 watt head, can I do 2 JJ E34L's and 2 SED =C= EL34s?

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":2o6i2q5b said:
You can only replace the tube without biasing when you have a set of the same type tube that is ALSO rated the same from the same supplier (i.e. Groove Tubes rating 5 can be replaced with a rating 5 without biasing) otherwise you HAVE to bias if you want to keep it sounding the same or avoid problems.

Later on dude,

Nick

Hey Nick . . .

Power tube ratings mean nothing across the board. Unless they are power tubes issued from the same "vendor", i.e. JJ, GT and what not.

There is no such thing as conventional/standard power tube rating(s).

Welcome to the family.Once you get a Diezel you never go back...or regret selling and come back.Pappa does not recomend pulling the the 2 i.e. inner or outer.Ihave a 100 wtt einy.I have been running with 2 for years.I prefer using old Mullards EL -34's just my taste and can be spendy.I have had no problems.Rember if you run just 2 that you have to to plug speaker into half the ohm load.i.e. 8 ohm =4 ohm jack.Always double check your bias for the pair your running.I love the tone ... gives a taste more Sag.It's tonal bliss for this old rocker. :rock:

Back