VH4 with 6550s or kt88s anyone doing it?

eternal_idol

like the title said, does anyone use a quad of either in your VH4?

this amp has peaked my interest.

How would one compair the gain on CH 3&4 to a old dual rectifier 2 channel???

Brae

My friend Stelios did that on his VH4S. The amp got huge headroom but somehow lost its musicality and he swapped back to EL34.
Some may like it though.

Hello, I have EL34 on mine, so I can't help you on that.

As for the rectifier question, ch3 on the VH4 is the one that sounds most similar to the recto, although (in my opinion) much better :) . VH4's ch3 with gain around 12 or 13 o'clock is (in terms of gain) similar to a recto with the gain knob on the maximum setting.

>|<>QBB<
mori":0eac3 said:
Hello, I have EL34 on mine, so I can't help you on that.

As for the rectifier question, ch3 on the VH4 is the one that sounds most similar to the recto, although (in my opinion) much better :) . VH4's ch3 with gain around 12 or 13 o'clock is (in terms of gain) similar to a recto with the gain knob on the maximum setting.

I doubt!
VH4's 3rd channel is unique!
My friend Alex had a VH4 loaded with 6L6 and a Dual Recto.
We've A/Bd the amps several times on the same cab.
Each machine is focused on different frequencies, trust me.
Perhaps, Ch3 gives you the impression of a well recorded Recto on CD.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! :D

As for the ch3 vs Recto, I'm not saying they sound the same, they don't, at all. I just think that ch3 is the one the can sound closer to a recto. I bought a VH4 exactly because I love its sound, way better than any recto I've tried. :)

edit: forgot to explain the recto vs ch3

>|<>QBB<
JohnRageOn":c407b said:
>|<>QBB<

I doubt!
VH4's 3rd channel is unique!
My friend Alex had a VH4 loaded with 6L6 and a Dual Recto.
We've A/Bd the amps several times on the same cab.
Each machine is focused on different frequencies, trust me.
Perhaps, Ch3 gives you the impression of a well recorded Recto on CD.

BTW Welcome to the forum!

+ 1 it's a different tone. The Herb with the Mid Cut sounds similar but still not the same. Diezel has the crushing brutal aggressive crashing sound. I like Rectos's too. :mg:

I actually was the first one to buy a VH4 when they came to Greece...
And i first had the idea on putting KT88's to it..I never done it because another friend of mine got to it first..(the one JohnRageOn reffers to)
The sad thing is that i hated the resault with the KT88's even though i wanted to get a shot on this first...
The KT's are very clear sounding with lots of headroom..But as john said,not very musical sounding..The amp lost its bite and grain with those tubes..
But i have never heared one with KT66's or 6550's...
I had VH4's with 6L6's and EL34's..I love the amp's tone in these kind of tubes..Different tone but good in both cases..
Alex

>|<>QBB<
Alex Flouros":ff11f said:
And i first had the idea on putting KT88's to it..I never done it because another friend of mine got to it first..(the one JohnRageOn reffers to)
The sad thing is that i hated the resault with the KT88's even though i wanted to get a shot on this first...
The KT's are very clear sounding with lots of headroom..But as john said,not very musical sounding..The amp lost its bite and grain with those tubes..
I had VH4's with 6L6's and EL34's..I love the amp's tone in these kind of tubes..Different tone but good in both cases..
Alex

:p

>|<>QBB<
Immersed":2e85a said:
i have 6550's in my vh-4 and they are alittle to much. then run hot also. i'm going to go back to the el34's.

what do you mean a little too much??? is it too aggressive or tight with 6550s?

Brae

Great insight,

thanks everyone thats contributed so far.

I was leaning towards 6550s. Thats the power tube i'd like to be running.
from what i've seen and heard of in terms of tube tonality(nothign to do with the VH4)

I'm using them right now and i just love the way they feel in my DR.

the other part of this post was about my DR, I doubt i could afford to keep more than one amp at a time. let alone an amp with this price tag.
so i'd have to trade or get rid of my DR. right now i boost my DR with a modded SD-1(sd-808 really) and a soon to be modded GT SD-1 from monte allums, that should be interesting.

I can get both a good scooped and not soo scooped tone using both channels as gain channels would i be able to do this well on the VH4 or does this amp not react well to a little bit a of scoopage...

thanks
Brae

>|<>QBB<
Alex Flouros":6f0c9 said:
Alex

to me they sound to clean and the amp is alittle louder. i like the bite of el34's and theres alittle more gain also with them. i love 6550's too but in certain amps. i think they sound the best in an old master volume marshall before the jcm 800. 6550's give amps that lowend and tighness that they lack with other tubes. the vh-4 does not lack bottomend or any thing else. the 34's have a much more fliud feel and more bite in the vh-4

Back