New Herbert, ZW Overdrive pedal

born2lift

I just started playing my Herbert, and I am finding that I need to use my Zakk Wylde overdrive to thicken up the tone. I didnt think I was going to need to.
Anyone have any suggested settings? I am not sure how the "V2" master voleum works, with vol 1 and vol 2.
I was expecting to be blown away, but havent yet. I might not be adjusting things right.

I would appreciate any help.

start with presence / deep / eq knobs around noon, start tweaking from there, master 2 switchable via the switch next to it, mid-cut is a very important tonal feature as well.

The oly problem I ever had with my Herbert sounds was wanting to de-thicken it as it's too fat for electro stuff I've been doing and some 80's cheese stuff! (I turned the deep knob down!).

Ampaddict, Yes I seen the chart, thanks. I tried it and I think what my problem is that I am not turning it up loud enough. With the channel vol at 12:00, the master vol 1 at 10:00 and vol 2 at 11:00 I will have to move my rig to the basement. I play in my living room and I know for sure if I play it that loud, the cops will be coming.

Does the Herbert need to be cranked to get a great sound?
Because now I have the channel vol at between 1 and 2 with the master vols as above, and the overdrive doesnt seem very brutal, and it overall seems kind of muffled.

Ok!
Please check your guitar cable. Or try another one. Please try it! I had the same problem.
I have Sommer Cables, and the black isolation between the shield and the hot wire contacted the hot (+). So i had a huge Pickup :roll: which absorbed some frequencies.

It was a little, stupid thing, but a huge difference in the tone. The tone was like you describe it.

>|<>QBB<
born2lift":3b585 said:
Ampaddict, Yes I seen the chart, thanks. I tried it and I think what my problem is that I am not turning it up loud enough. With the channel vol at 12:00, the master vol 1 at 10:00 and vol 2 at 11:00 I will have to move my rig to the basement. I play in my living room and I know for sure if I play it that loud, the cops will be coming.

Does the Herbert need to be cranked to get a great sound?
Because now I have the channel vol at between 1 and 2 with the master vols as above, and the overdrive doesnt seem very brutal, and it overall seems kind of muffled.

What guitar and pick up are you using?

I don't have those problems at all... I only boost mine on leads on ch3, but I like having the option of having just the gain on the amp, or the boost for even more sustain. I run the gain on ch3 at about 6.5-7 for leads, then clean boost it. Works for different applications.

I've never experienced it not being "thick" though :S

I went and bought an Mugahmi guitar cord and a Live Wire speaker cable.
I did notice some difference, although I still find that I need my ZW overdrive pedal, but with the drive on 0 and the output on 5.
Not really a big deal to me as it sounds AWESOME! It just acts as a boost.

Well every amp isn't for everyone. Try a different tube in V1. I always change mine for my personal tastes.

I am running two Marshall 4x12s. One 1960 Lead slant with 75s, and one 1960 Vintage with V30s. I swapped speakers from each. Now each has two 75s and two V30s in X patterns. It sounds better to me then before.

So I should not need any kind of overdrive pedal at all?
I have the settings chart, and I spent quite a bit of time experimenting last night. It just seems to me that with my MXR ZW pedal set with a slight boost, no drive from the pedal just the output up half way, it sounds better. Maybe one of the pre-amp tubes is not working.

I think the overdrive just hits the amp harder. I don't think there is a problem. Have you tried different guitars?
Make some clips so we can hear.

I have tried all my guitars. I have three Heritage 157s (Les Paul Customs) and one Heritage 20 th aniverssary 150 (Les PAul Standard).
They all have Dimarzio Evolution 2s in them. With this amp they all sound different. The two that are the lighest in weight sound brighter.
I dont have any way to make any sound clips, sorry.
I dont think there is a problem either. With the OD pedal it sounds better to me. I do think it sounds better cranked up though.

Back