Someone describe a herbie with 6l6's?

MakeThemSuffer

Anyone put 6l6's in their herbert? I had an ENGL fireball with 6l6's and it had balls to the wall distortion.

From what I understand some people here seem to think 6l6's would tame the Herbert too much. I guess I'm curious if it would tighten up the amp even more so without losing brutality in the process :LOL:

For me there seems to be something missing from my Herbert still. One thing is when I'm doing pinch harmonics they don't seem as extreme or in your face as they used to. I guess it's probably partly because I don't have the amp cranked lately. Maybe it's the EMG's (they've always seemed harsh) and maybe it's because I have an open back cab. it's still just not quite the sound I want.

haha, thanx. i also find that 6l6's rule for my country tones. they just make my tele spanky with a nice compressor on the clean channel.

I really dont believe in that comparison you have made Peter :p, hope you dont mind... there is no special tube for Experts, and another for noobies... I think it's all matter of taste and styles...

I really think there must be some valves better for one style, and anothers better for other styles... and off course, it also depends of the player's ear...

I have just played the Herbert with EL34, but be sure I will test it with full 6L6, and also mixing EL34 and 6L6... and then judge by myself, the best to my style :).

But once again, I think a 6L6 must be a great sound as well, and the proove is the van hellion clips, sounds really nice :).

All I know is I loved the 6l6's in my ENGL and those amps are also pure fuckin metal!

I'll just give 6l6's a try to see how it sounds. These ruby EL34's still have low hours so if I dislike the 6l6 sound I can just put them right back in.

To be honest.
The 6L6 is the tube which is forgiving.
You never will get out a dirty tone.
So if want to get a dirty and non focussed
tone ....... EL34

Sorry guys and now we are back into businnes

8) 8) 8)

I'm not very professional and sometimes feel like a beginner when I hear other people play. Maybe I should get myself a set of 6L6's!!! :D

I should have 4 EL34s and 2 6550s when it comes back from Peter. There was something funny with it, it ate tubes and it wouldn't bias different pairs properly. Hopefully it'll be back today! I thought it might be hopefully Monday, then hopefully Tuesday, so I'm getting evermore hopeful! It's all the excitement of getting a Diezel all over again! If it's not here by friday then I'll go and skin the delivery man! :x

Sometime soon we're gonna have a geek session with it, a mate's Orange, my triaxis and EL34 100/100, a Pod, and about 8 fuzz pedals and various wahs! :roll: I found out last week that one of the guitarists who'll be there who's always had a tone I've quite liked (although not AMAZED by) uses a Herbert model on his Pod! I can go and show them how the real thing sounds and A/B it. That'd be fun! :D

Peter will be pleased. I had some 6L6s lying around months ago, and gave them to my friend to put into his JSX. The stock EL34s only had around 4 hours on them, and today, I mentioned I was looking to buy some, and he repaid the favour, reminded me he still had the EL34s, and he's giving them to me.

So now I need to decide whether I want 2xEL34 + 4x6L6 or 4xEL34 + 2x6L6.

Thanx eddyrox, unfortunately i dont have a way to record at my home, as soon as i put something together im gonna be a post whore and post everything except my down from up stuff, thanx again for the kind words.

>|<>QBB<
van hellion":0403f said:
Thanx eddyrox, unfortunately i dont have a way to record at my home, as soon as i put something together im gonna be a post whore and post everything except my down from up stuff, thanx again for the kind words.

Andy, in your case, a "post whore" is a very, very good thing!! \:D/ :supz: Let it rip! I know I aspire to being able play (and sound) as effortlessly as you do. IMHO, there are very few guys that have that fluidity you possess - Yngwie, Shawn Lane, Brett Garsed, to name a few!!!

Back