AAAARRRGGHH Will someone please help me out with this?!

MAMMATUS

So I bought a VH4, and all I want to do is change channels with a bloody footswitch! I bought a Randall Midi 4 way footswitch, as people recommended, and it has a 6 pin DIN midi connection. The amp has a different connection to this. What the hell do I need to do? Is there an adapter for it? I don't want to have to plug an adapter into the back of the amp, then a lead though, as this will put strain on the midi connector on the amp...
For crying out loud! I paid £2000 for an amp without a footswitch, and all I want to do is change channels! This is ridiculous. Peter, couldn't you have put a simple jack footswitch socket on the amp?!
I'm stuck for options..... Please help me out! I've been trying to sort this for a couple of weeks now, and can't gig until it is sorted. At the moment I have to stand next to the amp and manually change channels, and it's starting to get really annoying.

Ask first, buy later (sorry, I had to).

Get a standard midi footswitch. Buy it new or used on ebay, like a Nobels MF1 or MF2 (50-100 GBP) and run it off phantom power from the head (no powersupply on stage necessary, just a 5-pin standard midi cable).

Nobels: www.nobels.com

If you should be "rich", contact Diezel UK and get a Columbus.

HTH

Ok thanks. I can't afford a Diezel footswitch (the head broke the bank already!) - I got the Randall switch because Mansons (Uk) sent it after recommending it to me. Would phantom power still work if I used a 5 pin cable from the amp, into a 6 pin adapter, into the footswitch?

I don't know the switch - and I don't get that a dealer recommended it without telling you how to use it.
If they (or Randall) can provide the schem for the output-jack I'm sure that Peter can tell you how to build an adaptor or customize your cable . . .

I'd just give it back and get a standard thing.

Ok thanks Olaf. The problem I am having is sourcing a 4 way midi foot pedal - I only want 4 buttons! Anything else would be surplus and pointless, as I only use stomp box effects. I'll keep looking though...

The Korg FC6 (came with the Korg A2/A3 series in the early 90s) has just 6 and fits nicely on a small pedalboard.

Also all those poor guys who bought the G-Major and the G-Minor want to get rid of it (the Minor). It has three bottuns ;)

I bought a Randall RF-4 midi footswitch for my Herbert. It works awesome. The cable it came with works great. One thing is that the cable goes in upside-down into the Diezel. That might be your problem. It fits both ways, but only works upside-down.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I got the Randall Footswitch, but the 6 pin connection has a pin in the middle of the lead, so it won't fit in the amp either way. I think I'll buy an adapter and go from there. If it doesn't work, I'll return it and get a different pedal.
Rich

>|<>QBB<
itsme":93cec said:
I bought a Randall RF-4 midi footswitch for my Herbert. It works awesome. The cable it came with works great. One thing is that the cable goes in upside-down into the Diezel. That might be your problem. It fits both ways, but only works upside-down.
Do you have a pic of that (cable/jack) please? Never heard of it . . . Thanks.

When I first plugged my Behringer FCB1010 (since you're in the UK you can get one for £100 from digital village dv247.com) it wouldn't work. I think the connector of the Diezel is a 7 pin cable for MIDI. Normally midi things are 5. I'd plugged it in a pin sideways so make sure you put in a standard 5 pin midi cable right! Pulling the cable and plugging it back in correctly then made it work fine! Just thought I'd point this out as a point to check!

Is there a schematic for the Herbert's "Footswitch" XLR port? I usually use MIDI with my rig (and love the fact my Herbie has it) but wouldn't mind building a stomp pedal just for if I pop round a mates for a quick jam with just my head and don't want all my other crap and MIDI gear. How does it work? I could buy one but as far as I'm aware they're as rare as rocking-horse sh*t, and I'm broke too. I have some metal boxes, switches and cable though! :)

It'd give me peace of mind too at gigs in case my MIDI pedal board dies for any reason!

I'm at work at the minute, but I will post a picture when I get home. I just contacted Mansons and they said the cable could be wrong....
I'll update you later on...

Rich

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":a706b said:
>|<>QBB<
Do you have a pic of that (cable/jack) please? Never heard of it . . . Thanks.

Here's a picture of my Randall RF-4 pedal, and the cable that came with it.

Attachments

• 69N07-1-31(14-2).jpg
    69N07-1-31(14-2).jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2,630
Hi Guys - Attached is the picture of the cable. The one on the left is the one that came with the footswitch (6 pin DIN) and the one on the right is one my mate tried, that fits into the amp.
Any suggestions?!
Edit - Looks like I have been given the wrong cable....
Thanks a lot for all your help. You guys are stars.

Attachments

• Cables.JPG
    Cables.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,903
Yeah, look at my pictures above. Which Randall pedal do you have? My RF-4 came with that 7-pin cable. Maybe contact Randall about the 7-pin cable, 'cause it works perfectly.

Back