Diezel questions!

The Udo

Hey everybody!

I´m just about to recive my first ever Diezel amp, the VH-4. I just have some questions.

First, how much for the Columbus? The store I was in didn't have it and had no idea on the price. By the way, in Euro please.

My previous amp was the Mesa Dual Rectifer, wich I loved! But I was so curios on the Diezel that I had to try it! How is the tone in comparison? Can I get the same kind of "chunk"?

I really psyched about my Diezel and I can´t wait to take for a test run!

Have a good one,

The Udo

>|<>QBB<
The Udo":98baf said:
My previous amp was the Mesa Dual Rectifer, wich I loved! But I was so curios on the Diezel that I had to try it! How is the tone in comparison? Can I get the same kind of "chunk"?

No, I'm afraid you can't get that kind of chunk out of it.

Only a superior kind of chunk comes out the Diezel! :p

I tried a recto just be sure I should replace my triaxis and marshall power amp with a diezel. I thought the Recto was quite nice, but a bit fizzy. When I played the Diezel I just thought "wow"!

To be honest, maybe I'm not very good at getting sounds out of amps but as huge as the Diezel sounds (specifically placing emphasis on the word chunk here and in context of palm mute riffs) but on heavy palm muted riffs I have heard other amps sound chunkier

It can always get chunkier! 8) I was just wondering if you could compare the two and if you could get "as chunky" sound with the Diezel or maybe even chunkier? I just don´t want to stand there with something that doesn´t make my hair flow in the wind! :D

Agreed, I was specifically refering to while palm muting though, I just compare it to this clinic video of time I've seen though it sounds like he's palm muting infront of the bridge pickup haha chunkkk

Udo, i also went from recto's (wich i liked) to VH4.

I had to use a tubescreamer/overdrivepedal to get a tight chunk from recto's. With EMG's (and no pedal) i found it still a bit too loose.

I don't use pedals anymore, no need for. VH4 palmmute is so much tighter than any recto. Lows are also thicker, less boomy/uncontrolled than recto's. I always have a thick tone, no matter what. VH4 isn't as fizzy as a recto, more brutal and growling thick.

You will be pleased.

I ordered a Columbus 1 1/2 week ago at www.musicstorekoeln.de
They charged me 389 euro, no shipping costs!!
Very good!

>|<>QBB<
KillDivision":f5c76 said:
Udo, i also went from recto's (wich i liked) to VH4.

I had to use a tubescreamer/overdrivepedal to get a tight chunk from recto's. With EMG's (and no pedal) i found it still a bit too loose.

I don't use pedals anymore, no need for. VH4 palmmute is so much tighter than any recto. Lows are also thicker, less boomy/uncontrolled than recto's. I always have a thick tone, no matter what. VH4 isn't as fizzy as a recto, more brutal and growling thick.

You will be pleased.

I agree. Had similar experience altough I moved from Dual Recto to TriAxis+2:90 and then bought VH4.

I think the verb 'growling' is a good way to describe the VH4 sound (in certain settings - it can also do plenty of other 'verbs' as well). Absolutely no need for a pedal in front for a rythm sound. Of course solo sound is a completely different thing.

VH4 is a tone monster. You won't be disappointed.
It's more balanced (tone wise) than a recto and surely has more focused gain and mids. It's not fizzy at all, even at extreme treble and presence settings. You'll not need a pedal to boost channels 3 and 4. Channel 2 is crunch, so you can boost this one to get a more 70 to mid 80's metal tone. :wink:

Ahhh...it´s really nice to hear frpm someone that also made the trade from the recto to the VH-4. I´m really interested in how they sound in comparison! The recto was my first real high-end boutiqe amp, so I´m hoping the VH-4 is even greater!

How would you compare the two? Channel 2 and 3 on the recto vs channel 3 and 4 on the Diezel?

Thanx man!

One could argue that statement about recto being boutique amp...

In my opinnion recto is way more saturated, unfocused and thus more 'mean' sounding.

VH4 is really focused and clear. It is everything else than the loose feeling you get from the recto.

My problem with recto was that it just did not cut through anything unless it became too thin and weak sounding. Thus, I would say that recto is more like earthshaking sub-terranean scoop sound, while a VH4 is a wall build over it with no holes and chips in it. Personally I really do not like the over-scooped sound of VH4, but the interresting thing is that, VH4 does not need to be scooped in terms of massive sound. Somehow I would say that VH4 is relatively linear amp, with extreme clarity.

By the way, I am talking about recto with 6L6 tubes and VH4 with EL34/KT77 tubes.

>|<>QBB<
The Udo":68119 said:
Ahhh...it´s really nice to hear frpm someone that also made the trade from the recto to the VH-4. I´m really interested in how they sound in comparison! The recto was my first real high-end boutiqe amp, so I´m hoping the VH-4 is even greater!

How would you compare the two? Channel 2 and 3 on the recto vs channel 3 and 4 on the Diezel?

Thanx man!

My last Recto was a new 3 channel Dual. I always found ch.3 more open and tighter than ch.2 (playing Hetfield/thrashstuff).
EMG's didn't need pedals, but EMG's are just sterile/dead tonewise.
Passive pickups were always too muddy, so needed the tubescreamer. But tubescreamer/overdrivepedals just kills the lows/body of the sound.

I went for recto's for sounding more brutal than Marshalls or 5150's.

Like said before by others, the VH4 is by far more brutal and roaring. While recto's scream like a big cat, Vh4's roar like a oversized lion. Recto's have high frequencies distortion, VH4's have a more balanced bark in all frequencies.
My recto would sometimes, when not miked properly, sound like a Marshall or Mesa Mark4, very thin.
The VH4 always sounds brutal and always cuts through live.

Ch. 4 is more (musically) compressed than ch.3. Ch.3 is my rythm channel, 4 the solochannel.

But....
I had a Burny les Paul with some really old-style PAF pickups wich sounded really tight and focussed on ch.4, never ever expected this!
So channel 4 isn't a "ch.3-copy-with-more-gain", but has a whole different character.

Oke, to sum things up......

Recto = Chiwawa, VH4 = Danisch Dog. :LOL:

Hehe, thanks alot for the description! I can totally agree for the sound of the recto. Sometimes it would sound really thin for some reason. And sometimes when you would play live you had to either have a small sound that cut trough or a fat sound that did´nt cut at all!

As I said before, really looking forward to trying out the VH-4...can´t be anything then a success!! :D

Back