Diezel D-Moll / "Max" Review UPDATE* on all cabs

Kev

Hey there!

I played the new Diezel D-Moll over a Frontloaded 4x12" with Vintage 30s this morning. The guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Facts:

-100 watts
-3 Channels sharing 2 3band-EQs
-Mid Cut function
-2 Master volumes
-Global Presence and Depth (for the Poweramp as always)
-KT77 Powertubes
-midi PG-change or FSH7HE-controllable
-2 loops (switchable, parallel)
-Compensated Out

This Amp is supposed to be the "Einstein 2", but not an Einstein mark2!
It is not a "more-vintage" approach.
Its circuitry is not similar to the Einsteins, it is actually more or less the Hagens circuitry, with a different placement of components but yet the same transformers.
The name is not decided yet.
This is the first Prototype. ( DIBS!!!!! ;) )

Sound:
Despite the same circuitry it sounds very different from the Hagen!!!
The act reacts faster/directer (more Herb-style).
In general, it is more modern sounding then the Einstein.
The Mid-Cut acts the same as in the Herbert.
The gain-character is smother on the highs than the Hagen, less sizzle.
Is very very versatile in every channel, imo more than in any other Diezelamp channels.

Ch1 (gain, vol, treb, mid, bass)
-Is extremly clean, but can get compressed to dirty with maxed gain.
-Herb-style headroom and sound, but a more natural feel and the ability to get some grit.
-Really really awesome!!!

Ch2 (gain, vol, shares 3band-EQ with ch3)
-Very natural, raw feeling gain-structure.
-Ranges from clean to dirty over dynamic crunch over heavy rhythm to not so compressed, natural feeling lead.
-Very un-harsh, pleasant-sounding overtones.
-Is very uncompressed on low gain, but nicely saturated on higher gain.
-It has a Herb-like feel with a more VH4-style gain, but imo even better than both!
-The perfect channel for those who want a Diezel one-channel-amp. It does everything unbelievably great and reacts absolutely awesome with your guitars volume and tone controls.
-Pure Awesomeness, my new favorite sound.

Ch3 (gain, vol, shares 3band-EQ with ch2)
-Very similar gain-structure and overtones as ch2 but more saturated, more brutal and a tiny bit more sizzle.
-Ranges from soft lead over heavy saturated rhythm to singing lead.
-Endless sustain, without feeling very compressed (less compressed feeling than Herb ch3, VH4/Hagen ch4 but same sustain).
-Nice and creamy when you roll back the tone control a little, but also brutal when kick down the thrust.
-A Monster of Sound.

I own the Herb and a have played or even recorded with all Diezel amps several times.
The Herb has been my sound, but i really like the VH4s gain. I also love the Einstein, but the Hagen was not that much of "my tone".
This is my new favorite. It is finally a amp with the awesome Diezel tone, with a very natural, not harsh (but brutal if you want) distortion and yet a more directer feel.

I just hope Peter will not change anything on this amp, except of including a bright-switch.
I can't believe how much the simple placing of components can have such a massive impact on the sound of an amp.

You just gotta love Peter :)

UPDATE:

Cabs:
It sounds killer over all cabs.

FL 4x12 Vintage 30: Read the above^^
FL 4x12 G12-K100: More modern sounding, more emphasized overtones.
RL 4x12 Vintage 30: Darker sounding, looser feel, fatter bottom end.
RL 4x12 Hempcone: Very present sounding without any harshness, looser feel, skinny bottom end.
FL 2x12 Vintage 30: Very similar to the FL4x12V30, but imo nicer contour in the mids and a slightly brighter high-end. But of course less low-end. (My new favorite!!!)
RL 2x12 Vintage 30: Similar dark sound as the RL4x12V30, but a directer feel (not as direct, as on the FL-cabs), the same amount of low end as on a 4x12(!!!).

That sounds fantastic! I'm glad the name's undecided, as that's the only thing I don't like about it! :p Well, that and the patterned logos everywhere.

Finally God (peter) living my dream, I love my einstein but the new D-MOll seems to me the best amps for me
i hope peter make this head in 50 watt too, but now we don't know the future price, the weight and dimension of this news amp

thank for the review
I look forward to learn more and see the first video

Thanks alot, very interesting indeed! Would love to get some kind of releasedate. Any hints?
I´ve sent one of my colleagues who´s at the messe to check it out today, but he´s a beerhappy bassist so god only knows if/when that´ll happen...

Jens RKLR":1entxhiq said:
Thanks alot, very interesting indeed! Would love to get some kind of releasedate. Any hints?
I´ve sent one of my colleagues who´s at the messe to check it out today, but he´s a beerhappy bassist so god only knows if/when that´ll happen...

if he's anything like a drunk beer happy bassist i used to know then he'll return with a jerry can full of Diesel and say somethin' stupid like "doesnt your car run on unleaded?"
:no:

brickford":1jj2ujaq said:
Jens RKLR":1jj2ujaq said:

if he's anything like a drunk beer happy bassist i used to know then he'll return with a jerry can full of Diesel and say somethin' stupid like "doesnt your car run on unleaded?"
:no:

Haha. Unfortunately very possible. :D

Update is coming tomorrow! Sorry guys, you gotta wait a bit. I just hope someone will upload a nice clip.

So Kev .is this very close to a less compressed more open somewhat brighter Einstein .
Is the Mega Mode sound still there in channel 2
Im guessing CH 2 3gain stages , Ch3 adds a gain stage to 4 is this accurate

Spoke with Peter, he and the crew are at the show through tomorrow. WIll have full details as to availability and pricing this coming week.

Cheers,
Brad

Back